Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 March 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SPRING EQUINOX

No spring here, and nobody's happy on my patch. The temp this morning was 17F; that's minus -8.3C. The "feels like" temp was 4F; that's minus -15.5C. The White Pelicans are still huddled on my two local lakes. They can't move on to Canada because it's even colder north of me.

The red-tailed hawks are very unhappy, because the Black Vultures have returned from migration. Even though R.T. Hawk and his mate chased them off last year, they decided to settle back here again. They must be a threat to the hawks' chicks because R.T. is NOT pleased. He ruffled his feathers and gave me a look like, "Well, do something!"

The red male Cardinal is not happy because the Chickadees are eating what's left of the weed tree seeds. The Cardinals are trying to build a nest above the window outside my enclosed porch, and the male has to stop and chase the Chickadees. 

I am not at all happy because my internet for my computer is down, and all I have is my phone. I'm in a snit with my internet provider. 

Well, it's now snowing, and I'm heading for bed. Everyone have a wonderful week.

• Along Hutton Vale Road - Baled hay - it's end of summer. 

• Visited Gnadenberg Lutheran church (not open) & cemetery. I took this pic of s when Chauffeur Friend & I visited 2014. More of my pics from that day are on my flickr.

• Through Moculta to Truro for last pit stop for the day. Then straight back on Sturt Highway & Northern Expressway to City. We were only 5 mins later than predicted. OH must have missed me as he was waiting kerbside as I got out of taxi! I had emailed both Daus that I was away for the day and that I had left OH his lunch. One was thoughtful enough to phone him for a chat.

In Bethany this silly old lady slipped on a gravelly slope, landed on her rear and grazed her arm below her elbow and had to be helped up. <sigh> I always carry sanitizer as covid-repellent and a few bandaids, not much damage, quick repair and all is well. Today elbow is a bit bruised. I did not realize how often I rest my elbow on table or desk!

The end. . . but another bus trip on 2 April.

• Rusty:  Oh yes,  John Cage's 4.33.   An earworm if ever.....  :-)))

AQ:  Argghh.  Glad your elbow isn't too bad and hope your pride wasn't too bruised either.

• ANNETTE – I could not afford any pride at any time all day. With my current faulty eyesight, I needed help checking traffic to cross roads.  I am surprised how well my camera focussed, even on the rubbish I took.

Today I managed to get OH to chemist for our 5th covid jab; a new variety only released yesterday. Now we are synchronized and I only have one date to remember. GP clinic is not doing these and only a limited number of chemists, so we went to one we have never patronized, catching bus there and back. I have not felt a thing but OH is complaining that he “can feel it”. Since he has to be at death’s door to take painkillers, I don’t know how bad he suffering. Dau & I have not told him she was ill for 24 hours after her last jab. Too bad that the chemist put ideas in OH’s head that we “may have flu-like symptoms for a day or so”.

I took advantage of adjacent Foodland for fresh veggies. At a quick glance, not a bad store, perhaps better than the one near my library. Another option to consider, different bus route, still half hour service, but bus stop closer to home.

• AQ - so sorry about your fall. You will be sore. Well done for going on the trip and coping with your reduced sight. Also good to hear that you and your OH got your covid jabs. Of course it is approaching your autumn which is the the time we “up here” get our flu and covid jabs. Good that you found yet another possible shop.
    I have just scrolled through all the osprey news. It is taking longer each morning. I am particularly interested in Brenig which I will be visiting later this year, but I do follow LG (I went last year) and Dyfi (went past on the train a few years ago) There are new arrivals nearly every day now.
    I won’t have much news today as I am staying at home to do housework!!!!!! My absolute favourite (not) LOL!!!!!!
  • Sorry about the elbow, and the bruised pride, AQ. Do take care. Enjoyed your photos. Interesting to see that the large round bales seem wordwide, now.

Sunny & hot promised here today - my OH wants to go for a swim in a local natural coastal pool, but I may just immerse myself!

Found a new Italian deli just around the corner from here, so had vegetarian lasagne last night (he had run out of meaty ones) once we had figured out the microwave controls to warm it up. Found out that he fills his counter with goodies in the morning, then if by teatime he has sold most of it, he goes home! So we need to get there in the mornings for best choice.
  • ps. Good that you & OH are once again fully jabbed, AQ. Hope your OH has no lasting effects.
  • ps. Good that you & OH are once again fully jabbed, AQ. Hope your OH has no lasting effects.