WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY MARCH 5 2023

Hallo all.   Hope Diane and bjane haven't been swept away.   I've been busy in the garden the last couple of days; got tired of waiting for my knight in shining armor to show up with his landscaping truck - got a lot of tidy up done.

Hope everyone has a good week.  

• OG - not football, can't stand the game. No, its Rugby Union. Pleased to hear that J is coping a lot better.
    Looks as though spring could be on its way if the swans and barnacle geese are moving off.
  • Some more flowers to cheer everyone. The snowdrops are now disappearing, but meanwhile the daffodils are opening. Lovely to see them where they've been planted beneath the hedges around the town, and in joyful clumps.

Had a very successful morning, doing various things in another town near us - wore my warm boots in case they'd had more snow than us, but there was none at all!! Ours has all melted now and the sun came out enough to encourage me to do extra laundry.

• A pink start to the day, briefly. We awoke to the sunrise making our bedroom wall pink. But it was very short lived.  The U.F.O. is a bird poo on our window!!

• Lovely sky, LINDY. It is still cold here but dry and sunny. Youngest son in law is back in Australia, enjoying warmer temps than he would be at home ! His direct flight from London to Perth took 16 hours and 45 minutes. I can't even conceive what that must be like! I think, AQ, that it was Qantas - brilliant airline with a great safety record ?
  • There is still lots of snow here. Put it this way, if I wanted to get the car out, I would have to shovel the drive!!! The buses still aren’t coming past and the postman hasn’t been for 3 days!!! The milkman made it yesterday though as did an Amazon delivery!!!!!!
    Lovely photos Lindy.
    Heather - I can’t imagine such a long flight!! The longest I did was from Singapore to Manchester (13.5 hours!) I thought it was never going to end.
  • We had a pink sky this morning as well, although it must have lasted all of ten minutes! I was fortunately up and saw it. Very beautiful - but is it a morning of something horrible to come? There are a lot of blue blobs on the forecast for later in the day ... perhaps that's my answer! At the moment the sun is shining, although the temperature is 0 degrees. And ... lucky me ... I have an all-day training session on Zoom. I can hardly wait ...
  • Lovely photo LINDY.

A popular adage here in the Great Lakes region of the US is:

"Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.
    Red sky at night, sailors' delight."

Rural folks here in my area take weather very seriously, and my Mom would always cast a wary eye at a dawn sky that was vivid red. (Those of you who are Christian may recognize that the quote is based on Matthew 16 2-3, although I think the concept goes far back into ancient times.)

Speaking of weather, I hope Annette is okay.
  • DIANE - we have the same saying here - ' Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailors warning '
  • I've always heard it as 'shepherds' rather than 'sailors' - but appropriate to both, of course.