LLYN BRENIG - MARCH/APRIL 2023

Link to August 2022

With last year’s male LJ2 arriving on the 6th of April and partner LM6 the 10th of April, I thought I would start a thread now for the new season in case they return earlier after a successful breeding season last year. The nest and surrounding area has recently been prepared by Welsh Water for our pair’s arrival.

Background to the nest:-

Many thanks to AG  who wrote this preface to the Llyn Brenig thread for us below.  (I’ve just edited extra information)

Llyn Brenig is a reservoir on the border between Denbighshire and County Conwy in North Wales. It is managed by Welsh Water;  the osprey project is a partnership between them and North Wales Wildlife Trust.

One pair of ospreys (Blue HR7 (M) 2014  Lake Menteith, Scotland and Blue 24 (F) 2010 nr Rutland)  raised a single chick here each year from 2018-2020,  Z9 (F) Luned, KA5 (M) Roli and KC5 (F) respectively. Sadly, KC5 died after fledging, colliding with a wind turbine.

Neither of this breeding pair returned in 2021, when the nest was taken over by 2 Scottish birds, LJ2 (male) and LM6 (female), both 2018 chicks. The nest was vandalised the night after LM6 had laid her first egg; while the two could not continue to breed they did stay close to the site until normal migration time.

A new nest was erected in 2022 with additional security and a streaming camera in place. A new hide was also built.

LJ2 and LM6 returned and successfully fledged 2 chicks, X6 Olwen (F) and KA9 Gelert (M) 

LM6 lost her blue darvic ring on the nest. It was recently recovered by Welsh Water and kept for display in the exhibition later this year. 

Links to

North Wales Wildlife Trust Page https://www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/days-out/ospreys-llyn-brenig

Welsh Water Page https://llynbrenig.com/llyn-brenig-osprey/

Osprey Project Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/brenigospreyproject

Friends of Llyn Brenig Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/FriendsofLlynBrenigBlue24

Llyn Brenig YouTube Channel for Live Stream https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_OrcBilBcFmDQ

All captures and videos ©️ NWWT, Welsh Water, Brenig Osprey Project

• JaneV said:
    They have indeed had a cut back Glider. Was this done with the ospreys in mind do you know?

Yes Jane, it was part of the Brenig Osprey Conservation plan authored by Dr Tim Mackrill of the Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation on behalf of North Wales Wildlife Trust, in collaboration with Dwr Cymru and the RSPB. It sets out the conservation measures to protect the breeding ospreys at the site.

https://www.northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/2022-06/Osprey-Conservation-Plan-Llyn-Brenig.pdf

• On the North Wales Wildlife Trust Facebook tonight -

Brenig Osprey Project
    3 h ·
    Noswaith dda, Good evening.
    Eagle-eyed followers (or should we say osprey-eyed) of the project will have noticed we have been testing the Live stream over the last couple of days.
    We hope you are as excited as us for the birds return.
    Previous visitors to Brenig will know that we have two cameras on the nest and we are looking to see if its feasible to live stream them both this season to give you all the best possible viewing experience on site and at home.
    You will notice as well the view is very different to last year due to the felling that took place over the winter. Planting of native trees species near the nest has also been completed which you will see growing over the coming years. All completed in-line with the guidelines of the conservation plan.
    We will keep you all updated, but during the testing stage please expect the cameras to not always be available.
    Throughout the season the Live Stream will be available on the Llyn Brenig YouTube channel and also the Llyn Brenig and North Wales Wildlife Trusts websites.
  • The night light is so bright. Is this normal or do they tone it down when the ospreys arrive? Didn’t get this view on the nest last year.

• Glider said:
    The night light is so bright.

I think they can control it if they realise it and they want to - we've had the same prob on LG years ago and now it's on Glaslyn too and I've tried to inspire them to do something about it but no response.  Something to worry about before we even get started.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla. After all the preps that are done to encourage ospreys to breed, a night light as bright as this on the nest doesn’t support very natural conditions for ospreys sleeping I would think. I never really thought about it last year, just presumed there was an infrared camera for night vision. Yes, hopefully they turn it down a lot when the ospreys arrive.
  • Glider said:
    a night light as bright as this on the nest doesn’t support very natural conditions for ospreys sleeping

They can't see it at all, Glider, except maybe for a little indicator light - if it's infra-red.

I'm moaning cos we can't see what going on.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Glider said:
    a night light as bright as this on the nest doesn’t support very natural conditions for ospreys sleeping

They can't see it at all, Glider, except maybe for a little indicator light - if it's infra-red.

I'm moaning cos we can't see what going on.

Ah thanks Scylla, that’s reassuring. Blush

• As said above.
    The lights that give us the black and white pictures are infrared and can not be seen by other animals, including Ospreys.

They have been used for many years and are known to cause no problems to the birds.

ColinA

• Unknown said:
    As said above.
    The lights that give us the black and white pictures are infrared and can not be seen by other animals, including Ospreys.

They have been used for many years and are known to cause no problems to the birds.

Thank you Colin. I just got a shock at the brightness of the night cam onscreen!! All good Blush Thumbsup

• Wednesday, 22 March

A couple of herring gulls landed on the nest around 07.18 this morning. Still there just now.