LOCH OF THE LOWES - MARCH/APRIL 2023

Link to all blogs and updates throughout the 2022 season

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 return dates: LM12 (Laddie) - 13th March; NC0(16) - 23rd March

Looking forward to welcoming back Laddie and NC0 to this wonderful location at Loch of the Lowes. Will Laddie, in his 12th season, beat his earliest arrival date that he achieved last year? Will NC0, her 4th season, be heard before she is seen on cam? Could we see the return of their 2021 offspring, LR1 and LR2? Here's hoping they have safe, spring migrations so as to grace our screens once again. 

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)   Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)   Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)   Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March/April Blogs and Updates (published dates)

28.2.23 SWT video >>> Prepping the Osprey Nest for the Season

17.3.23 SWT (News) blog >>> Successful reunion of breeding ospreys at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

24.3.23 LotL blog >>> Breeding osprey return to Loch of the Lowes on the same day!

3.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 2 

5.4.23 LotL blog >>> First egg of the osprey season - Week 2

7.4.23 LotL blog >>> Second Egg for Osprey Pair at Loch of the Lowes

10.4.23 LotL blog >>> Easter Egg Surprises - The Arrival of the Third Egg and an Unwanted Guest

16.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes- Week 3

21.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Weeks 4 & 5

23.4.23 LotL blog >>> Loch of the Lowes Osprey Sighted on their First Migration North

25.4.23 LotL blog >>> Let’s Eggsamine NC0’s Three-Egg Clutch

30.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 6

• 22:33 NC0 sleeping, bless her

*Zoomed in pictures of Laddie and NC0 can viewed on the previous page*

©SWT/LotL

• Morning All,

Laddie relieved NC0 at 4:55

At 5:27, Laddie began to chip. He rose from the eggs and vigorously flapped his wings making a series of very high-pitched squeaks (intruder unseen)

He mantled

Then continued to chip

He settled back down but continued to be on alert

NC0 arrived a few minutes after

He left at 5:31

6:09 Laddie came back and spent 5ish minutes with NC0. She was fish calling

7:59 NC0 continuing to incubate. Hopefully, Laddie will deliver a fish on his next visit.

Off to work. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• The LS has been pixelating/buffering/jumping so times are approximate for the quick catch up

Just before 11:00am (I only know this because I checked while on my mid-morning break), Laddie delivered a headless fish

LS jumped to show NC0 had already collected it from Laddie

Pixelation

The LS jumped, NC0 had left the nest, Laddie had settled on the eggs

12:29, but was probably before, Laddie began to chip/alarm call

LS jumped, Laddie had left the nest

Then he came back again

13:10 Currently, Laddie is still incubating; NC0, I presume is on the birch

Edit: 13:13 Laddie chipping

Catch up later. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• It's quite impossible to give times, even approximate ones, due to the LS 'playing up (on scroll back from the present time, it's showing Laddie's fish delivery this morning at being 2 hours 30 minutes ago!)

I couldn't find where Laddie had been chipping at 13:13 (that was 'live' for me when I commented at lunchtime) but I didn't see any defensive posture from him onward throughout his incubation period..

NC0 returned to the nest at some point, she still had a remainder of fish in her right talons. This was left on the nest when she took over incubation (Laddie had been on the nest for quite a while)

The LS pixelated and then jumped to NC0 settling down on the eggs, Laddie had flown off

It wasn't that long ago(?), that Laddie was on the nest perch

The cam froze/pixelated after NC0 had risen from the eggs - NC0 flying to the birch!

Laddie to the nest before NC0 reached her birch branch

He saw the remainder of the fish 

Cam then jumped to ENS, NC0 on the birch

NC0 returned

A 'live' pic of NC0 at 16:38

©SWT/LotL

• 17:52 A loud jet has just flown over, NC0 watching it

©SWT/LotL

• The LS has improved somewhat (hope that's not the 'famous last words' phrase!)

18:36 NC0 rose from the eggs and flapped her wings

Laddie made his way back to the nest

Contact calls on landing

Off she went

Laddie made a few more contact calls, this time while looking at the eggs and aerating the nest cup. NC0 landed on the birch

Both in their same positions at 19:24

©SWT/LotL

• NC0 returned to the nest with a large clump of green moss/grass at 20:00. I wonder what Laddie was thinking as he looked at it?

Extra bedding for NC0 to keep herself warm overnight? Her wings were slightly frost-covered this morning. She settled on it and the eggs

NC0 at 20:26

©SWT/LotL

• There were no more visits to the nest from Laddie. It could have been him on the birch just prior to night cam coming on at 21:26

NC0 sleeping at 22:19

©SWT/LotL

• Morning All

Laddie came to the nest at 5:00

6:00 NC0 returned with a small stick

Laddie left

6:43 Chipping could be heard, NC0 scanned the sky

Laddie landed and continued to chip

All was calm, no threat seen

Laddie flew off. He turned directly left, down the inlet after this pic

He returned at 7:22 and kept NC0 company for 5 minutes. She was quietly fish calling

NC0 currently at 7:59

BFN

©SWT/LotL