LOCH OF THE LOWES - MARCH/APRIL 2023

Link to all blogs and updates throughout the 2022 season

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 return dates: LM12 (Laddie) - 13th March; NC0(16) - 23rd March

Looking forward to welcoming back Laddie and NC0 to this wonderful location at Loch of the Lowes. Will Laddie, in his 12th season, beat his earliest arrival date that he achieved last year? Will NC0, her 4th season, be heard before she is seen on cam? Could we see the return of their 2021 offspring, LR1 and LR2? Here's hoping they have safe, spring migrations so as to grace our screens once again. 

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)   Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)   Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)   Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March/April Blogs and Updates (published dates)

28.2.23 SWT video >>> Prepping the Osprey Nest for the Season

17.3.23 SWT (News) blog >>> Successful reunion of breeding ospreys at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

24.3.23 LotL blog >>> Breeding osprey return to Loch of the Lowes on the same day!

3.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 2 

5.4.23 LotL blog >>> First egg of the osprey season - Week 2

7.4.23 LotL blog >>> Second Egg for Osprey Pair at Loch of the Lowes

10.4.23 LotL blog >>> Easter Egg Surprises - The Arrival of the Third Egg and an Unwanted Guest

16.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes- Week 3

21.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Weeks 4 & 5

23.4.23 LotL blog >>> Loch of the Lowes Osprey Sighted on their First Migration North

25.4.23 LotL blog >>> Let’s Eggsamine NC0’s Three-Egg Clutch

30.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 6

• 21:17ish NC0 stood up, fish calling, as Laddie (I assume) left the birch area and flew towards the nest with what appeared to be a fish in his talons. He didn't land but continued his flight low, behind the nest. He could then be seen flying over the Loch in the opposite direction. 

I lost sight of him after this pic

She had a good flap of her wings before settling back on the eggs

NC0 just before night cam came on at 21:20

Perhaps it was Laddie's way of letting her know she will be getting an early breakfish!

*See previous page for posts re three intrusions today

©SWT/LotL

• Good morning All,

Laddie delivered NC0's headless breakfish at 5:48

Cam zoomed in

Laddie left the fish on the nest, NC0 had to walk carefully around the edge of the nest cup to retrieve it

Laddie down to settle

7:13 

©SWT/LotL

• 8:10 A lovely, peaceful scene - let's hope it stays that way after the events of yesterday!

Laddie still incubating

BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Sandra P said:

Apologies for the delay in posting the pics.

----------------------

Sandra you cover this nest so well each season, so no need for any apologies that's for sure.   I am sorry that I am only popping in now and again, but when I do I appreciate all the effort you go to to keep the nest updated.  Same goes for Scylla and Karen. and anyone else who posts a lot on here. ThumbsupClap  

• Thank you so much, Mary, and please pop in as and when you can - good to see you! Kissing heart

NC0 returned from her breakfish break at 9:12. 

Laddie took over from her at 11:48 after bringing a stick to the nest

12:55 Laddie still on the eggs, NC0 on the birch. The wind has really picked up!

BBL

©SWT/LotL

• I've found an unringed intruder occurrence from 9:42 this morning, it wasn't showing in the frames as I scrolled through footage at lunchtime

NC0 was quietly scanning the sky

Unringed intruder approached the nest

It landed on NC0

A brief touchdown onto the nest

NC0 flapped the intruder off

Within moments, Laddie arrived at the nest

He chipped

Scanned the sky

Both were quiet and watchful

Laddie began to chip again

He's quietened down

Both were relaxed and Laddie arranged a stick at the back of the nest, NC0 had a brief tail 'parasol' to shade her from the sun! lol

Then he left the nest at 9:50

©SWT/LotL

• Another intruder alert at 16:48 - Laddie was incubating at the time.

He began chipping/alarm calling, NC0 was on the birch

The intruder was coming too close for Laddie's liking!

He lifted himself off the nest

NC0 was making her way back towards the nest - wing tip of who? on the right

She headed above the cam

I don't know who this was but it veered off to the left

Cam op took the opportunity to zoom in on the eggs

NC0 returned, alarm calling was heard

She was dive-bombed!

She settled

TBC...  Will catch up after dinner. BFN

©SWT/LotL

• Cont'd...

The intruder then came flying over the nest

Laddie was quick to come to NC0's aid and he chased the intruder away!

Laddie as back to the nest, with a stick, at 16:53

Both remained watchful

Laddie left on his own accord at 17:01

He did return with another stick at 17:35 and stayed with NC0 for a little while with both of them watching the area

I don't think anything else eventful has occurred since then (there's nothing glaringly obvious). Here's NC0 at 18:48

©SWT/LotL

• A headless fish delivery from Laddie at 20:17

Note this loose feather that had fallen after NC0 had flapped her wings

She picked the fish up...

...dragged it across the nest...

...and, keeping it in her beak, flew off with it

She flew high...

...then low

Then lifted herself over the birch and headed left, out of view

NC0 came into view again and flew towards the birch. Laddie was digging in the nest cup

She could be seen going into the lower branches and and the area marked (yellow). What have you got on your beak, Laddie?

Feather bling! lol

©SWT/LotL

• This nest is certainly having its share of intruders right now.

Interesting that yesterday at Alyth, an unringed intruder landed on the female’s back too. Same one perhaps? So difficult to tell without darvic rings.