LOCH OF THE LOWES - MARCH/APRIL 2023

Link to all blogs and updates throughout the 2022 season

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the latest 'live' YouTube link, visit >>> SWT YT Channel

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022 return dates: LM12 (Laddie) - 13th March; NC0(16) - 23rd March

Looking forward to welcoming back Laddie and NC0 to this wonderful location at Loch of the Lowes. Will Laddie, in his 12th season, beat his earliest arrival date that he achieved last year? Will NC0, her 4th season, be heard before she is seen on cam? Could we see the return of their 2021 offspring, LR1 and LR2? Here's hoping they have safe, spring migrations so as to grace our screens once again. 

Nest Updates

Arrival dates: NC0 - 17.3.23 (07:43)   Laddie - 17.3.23 (13:43)

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 4.4.23 (09:32)   Egg #2 - 7.4.23 (09:39)   Egg #3 - 10.4.23 (09:10)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March/April Blogs and Updates (published dates)

28.2.23 SWT video >>> Prepping the Osprey Nest for the Season

17.3.23 SWT (News) blog >>> Successful reunion of breeding ospreys at Loch of the Lowes Wildlife Reserve

24.3.23 LotL blog >>> Breeding osprey return to Loch of the Lowes on the same day!

3.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 2 

5.4.23 LotL blog >>> First egg of the osprey season - Week 2

7.4.23 LotL blog >>> Second Egg for Osprey Pair at Loch of the Lowes

10.4.23 LotL blog >>> Easter Egg Surprises - The Arrival of the Third Egg and an Unwanted Guest

16.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes- Week 3

21.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes - Weeks 4 & 5

23.4.23 LotL blog >>> Loch of the Lowes Osprey Sighted on their First Migration North

25.4.23 LotL blog >>> Let’s Eggsamine NC0’s Three-Egg Clutch

30.4.23 LotL blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 6

• scylla said:
    Sandra P said:
    NC0's Darvic ring has split?

Well spotted - that explains why I was having screw my eyes up to see her ring - I thought at first it was Laddie brought the big stick, simply taking it for granted rather than looking - then there was too much breast pattern, then... aha!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Scylla. My curiosity got the better of me so I scrolled back and took these couple of pics from 11:50ish. 

And this one at 13:48ish

Hope it doesn't cause a problem for her.

©SWT/LotL

• I've been going through my saved LotL 'zoomed-in' picture files and found this one from 16th April last season. I didn't notice at the time but there was a crack in her Darvic ring (I'd only commented about the two eggs within my post on the thread). It wasn't as clearly visible (as far as I can tell) in the screenshots that I took after that. Perhaps that's where the weakness was?

©SWT/LotL

• First and foremost, what I gotta know is - how come you have these multi-numbers in your picture titles?  (I get the date and time.)  What software performs does that?  6443.1768.1777.0882.6567.5164.8623.3443.1541.lotl nc0 CRACKED DARVIC RING laddie tail 2 eggs 16422 1417.jpg-800x0

Cropping and messing around with your snap, SANDRA - looks like there was a little chunk chopped out of the ring?  Like you, I do hope it doesn't cause her a problem, we'll have to watch out for zoom opportunities for a clearer shot this season.

IMAGICAT

• I've absolutely no idea what all those numbers are, Scylla, but the rest is the title/date/time I'd saved the pic under in my file (I added the part about the cracked Darvic tonight).
    Thanks for the closer view of the ring!

• And here was Laddie bringing a teatime fish for NC0, she flew off to the birch with it and must have gone to bed happy:

IMAGICAT

• Good morning All

Laddie arrived at the nest just after 5am

NC0 joined him 30 or so minutes later

8:13

©SWT/LotL

• 8:30 NC0 was alone on the nest chirping, Laddie flew in to mate but she pecked him off!

©SWT/LotL

• Good morning Sandra, you are a super sleuth! I would’ve never noticed the crack/chip in NCO’s darvic ring. Last year at Brenig, LM6’s ring split and fell off in the nest and I hadn’t noticed!!

What a beautiful looking morning at The Lowes today. Sunny
  • Morning Glider,
    It would be good if NC0's ring came off in the nest here in the hope it can be retrieved, just as LM6's was.
    Yes, it's a lovely morning at Lowes!
  • From scroll back - 11:50

NC0 arrived at the nest with two clumps of moss. She made, what sounded like, human alarm calls

She shot off the nest, taking one of the clumps with her

She was back shortly after, with the clump

©SWT/LotL