Poole Harbour Ospreys 2023 season

After last years monumental year it's nearly time for a new season, so here's the 2023 thread

For the 2022 thread click HERE

Here's hoping for a good year

For viewing the 2 webcams click HERE

Richard B

• I think that one's a Mullet. The scales are pretty big and its not that deep in the belly, but quite wide.

The scales on a Bass almost seem to merge together into a continuous colour

The scales on a Mullet look almost individual and bigger

If it makes you feel a bit better I have been catching Bass and Mullet for over 50 yrs, so I have seen quite a few.

I reckon you will get the next one right.

Richard B

• Thank you, Alison and Glider. Clearly a lot of local folk were aware of this, but news never remains under the radar for long. I think this was a very wise move. Vaguely similar to River Gwash Ospreys and Rutland cooperation. It benefits all concerned and keeps a control.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Very much appreciate the fishie lesson Richard. Thank you

• Unknown said:

Very much appreciate the fishie lesson Richard. Thank you

Me too Richard, thank you. I wondered if you were a fisherman! You’ll just know straight away with the silhouette before you’ve even seen the colouring I guess!

I do want to learn though, I think it’s interesting seeing what our birds are eating and good to know stocks are healthy. Hugging

• Fishing the harbour over 99% of their diet will be Mullet, Bass and Flounders.
    There may always be something else such as a Garfish, Mackerel, Bream, but not much else, but never say never.

Richard B

• I expect eveyone has an anxious eye on the black plastic - the way the wind can whip it up from almost dead calm is alarming, just imagine a pre-fledged youngster in slapping range Frowning2

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    Fishing the harbour over 99% of their diet will be Mullet, Bass and Flounders.
    There may always be something else such as a Garfish, Mackerel, Bream, but not much else, but never say never.

That’s good to know Richard. Definitely no rainbow trout then! Haha Laughing

• Such a shame about the plastic Scylla. I guess it’s too well hooked to even blow away.
  • I missed the first fish brought in at 07.34 this morning but the 2nd arrived at 17.30

I think CJ7 is having a grey mullet for her tea. Slight smile

• Glider wrote the following post at 12 May 2023 10:38 PM:

I missed the first fish brought in at 07.34 this morning

Just to show I care (and thanks to Recycle Bin) - but we didn't get a very good view of it:

13 May

After a too-quick run-thru of the morning up to 10:00, this was the only time I noticed 022 - he didn't stay long or land on the nest itself:

It will be interesting if you go thru the same period and find all sorts of goings-on, it would give me an idea of how much slower my scrolling needs to be Smirk

EDIT - See Alison's correction on the following page Stuck out tongue winking eye

IMAGICAT