Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 12 February 2023

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

I was sitting on my porch last night, and I saw an ant crawl lethargically across the floor. It was the first one I'd seen since last autumn. I was glad to welcome the little fella. A few minutes later, I smelled a ghastly awful odor. It was the skunk, and it must have been close to the house! The hibernating creatures are beginning to stir here!

The skunk must have woke up in a bad mood, because it had sprayed some unfortunate critter with the full force of its stench accumulated over the winter. My eyes were watering, but my heart was joyful.

Some years, February can be the most savage of our winter, but the forecasts are saying that it will be milder than usual this year. The days have been warmer this past week, and we had sunshine! We don't have any beautiful flowers yet, like Lindy posted, but I was so happy to see (and smell) the first hints of spring!

Love to all!

• You wouldn’t recognise Chester Zoo these days Dibnlib. No horrid enclosures. All lovely paddocks and warm houses with the animals given the choice where they want to go. Consequently you can’t always see them but I take that as a great improvement
    I am back from the dentists. It was a broken tooth and it has now got a temporary repair on it. I have 2 long appointments for April to have a crown fitted!!! More money. Hey ho!!! Not in any pain though so that is good.
  • OG Glad to hear you had a reasonable nights sleep.
  • Goodness, I'm all behind. I don't know where yesterday went, but went it did!

OG Good that you're managing a reasonable amount of sleep. Such a help in recovering when you've been under 100% Sorry that J has had more things to overcome - I hope it can be sorted now.

Rusty - that's what happened to me, with my teeth. Broke a tooth complete with filling, and then told that I'd need an (expensive) crown. Meanwhile, another already crowned tooth went so to put them both right was astronomical. But I can smile sweetly at everyone now! I try not to think of all the other things we could have done with the cash..... Glad you're not in discomfort. Maybe like me, you'll just have a pain in your bank balance.

We had Woolworths here for years, wonderful shops where you could buy sweeties, makeup, household goods, records (remember those?) and odd things like sewing thread and scissors. They closed down all over, some years ago but I still miss them.

We had news of another death in the wider family yesterday, very sudden again and not expected. So we will be off to another funeral before long. Life is certainly uncertain. If you know what I mean.

Back later with some of my snowdrops pictures which I took two days ago but haven't got around to posting.

• I also remember 'Woolies'. Agree Lindy, very useful shops. I had a Saturday job when I was at school in the Bath branch. I earned 15/- a day. Is that how we used to write 15 shillings? I was on the stationary counter which also sold foreign stamps. I occasionally had to help out on biscuits when another Saturday girl was having a break. I did not like having to weigh out the biscuits. Back in the day it was usually half a pound!

Good that you are able to post again OG. Sorry about J's problems. Difficult for you.
    Downstairs we have a very smart coffee machine which produces different sorts of coffees. I think it is very good, but I think that you are a serious coffee drinker. I feel the same about tea. I would never make it from a machine if I had any choice.
  • OG - I am sorry. I seem to have missed your post. I am glad you had a reasonable sleep. So sorry to hear about J’s problem. I hope he is getting better. Good idea to get meals delivered especially if they are ones you like. I hope you managed to contact social services and that you can get something useful set up with them. Unfortunately, I think they are rushed off their feet and short staffed too.
    To join in the Woollies debate. I loved the one here in my town. It was always busy and you could get all kinds of things there. I always remember that when my dad came to stay we would go there so that he could select his favourites out of the pick and mix. I was always horrified that he thought it was quite OK to eat one or two at the stand before continuing to fill his bag and go to the check out. I tried to pretend he wasn’t with me!!!!!!
  • Must be feeling better than I was - I spent time today catching up on my post-christmas correspondence!
  • AQ: Those are truly beautiful birds. That would be an amazing sight.
  • OG: I'm so glad to hear that you had a better day. Wishing you healing.
  • Suddenly had to sign in again, which I had to do last week but which had stopped.

Good Morning