Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 December 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a healthy, joyful week. Next week will be the Winter Solstice already!

I now have several species of birds coming to the outside of my enclosed porch. The red male cardinal tries to chase them off, but there are too many. They're eating the seeds on my "weed tree", various vegetation, and the poor wasps hibernating in their nest.

• ANNETTE: Temps are the usual for this time of year. 24F (-4C) tonight. The big blizzard tracked north of me,. We got the edge of the southern part of the storm front, which tracked across the south and spawned those tornadoes. High wind warnings and lots of cold rain on my patch.

UK FOLKS: Try to stay warm. I know heat is very, very expensive in the UK right now. Best to all of you, and your family, too, Annette.
  • Diane: I thought the storm may have just skimmed you; still, hope you're staying warm with your normal temps.
  • Keep safe in those winds, Diane.

We're keeping warm as are lucky enough to say "blow the expense" and keep the heating on, in these extreme temps. (Minus 7 here this morning) . Later, when it's just plain cold and Decemberish, I'll put on more layers of clothes and be meaner with the heating system!

Much chat online about the latest episodes of Prince Harry's documentary. Sadly it comes across as his being obsessed with certain things, and of course Princess Pinocchio has fed his obsession. It would very nice if it was all over, but sadly we still have his book coming out in January, which the press will love to pounce on. <sigh>

Tried to post on here on Wednrsday with lots of replies, but after three goes on my mobile and one on my tablet, I had to give up. Grr. Now forgotten what I was trying to say.

• LINDY - my late husband used to say ' I didn't work hard all my life, to be cold when I'm old' . I appreciate that not everyone can say that - even after working hard for years, but I'm grateful to be warm and often think about those who are struggling.
  • Reading through all your news - hope all works out for everybody.

Weather all week has been mostly overcast with some sunshine breaking through but very cold.

Have a lovely weekend all. Off to Annual Carol Service on Sunday evening with tea/coffee and mince pies afterwards.
  • Morning all:   My sister and BiL's house is big and old but it does have the double (triple?) glazed windows  He's just bought himself a comfy recliner, has plenty of wood and oil and has closed off the huge front living room in favor of what they call the 'snug' off the kitchen.  Meanwhile, poor niece has ancient draughty rental house and like many people there is not in a position to say 'hang the expense.'  She has a real fireplace downstairs and uses that but her bedroom must be frigid and I know she relies on electric heaters there.  Don't know if she has a heated blanket.  Still we'll make a fuss of her when she arrives December 28.  :-)    Also, looks like things may warm up a bit on your side of the pond in the next few days.

Diane:  I'm hoping next winter will be warmer for you once you get upgrades to your little house done.

Feeding the washing machine this morning; then a few errands..... Hoping to have a fairly peaceful around-the-house weekend...

• Well, I am home. Despite the cold weather I have had a fantastic week birdwatching down the Conwy Valley. It was organised by the couple who guided the holiday I had to Scotland in the summer but we had a guest guide with us all week. British people will, I am sure know of Iolo Williams from Springwatch. What a lovely man. So keen to make sure we had seen all the birds, so down to earth and natural. It was a real treat for me and a week I will never forget. Here he is on the Little Orme in Llandudno this morning. It is my shadow on the left taking the photo.

• Welcome home Rusty! What a lovely time you must've had.