Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 23 October 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a relaxing, safe, joyful week! 

The sky was intensely blue and cloudless this afternoon. I saw both red-tailed hawks soaring when I walked to my small town to get some groceries. 

Our annual Covered Bridge Festival ends tomorrow. We usually have over a million tourists visit our rural area during the two-week festival. They tour the 32 covered bridges, visit other historic sites, buy quilts and other hand-made items from the hundreds of venders, and eat the traditional foods on offer. So, our country roads have been busy. It's a real economic boon for our people, so I'm glad for it, but I think the wildlife and I are happy it's almost over.

• From there we drove to the Douro Valley which was very picturesque.

• Limpy and I have just tested negative. Yay! Saying that, neither of us tested positive before - the testing kits we had didn't give us a result and I've been judging by symptoms. We actually went out and bought new kits so we could be sure we were clear of it.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Great news Clare. Hope you both fully recover soon. I have to say that I still get very tired.
    I was sitting here contemplating cutting the grass. However, we have just had a heavy shower of rain so that idea has been shelved.
  • rusty2 said:
    I have to say that I still get very tired.

I hear lots of people saying that and it's certainly true of Limpy.  He's slowly improving, though, as I'm sure you will.

It's a massive relief to know we've all come through this without even needing to call a doctor.  This time two years ago I dreaded Limpy catching it, with good reason.  Thanks goodness for vaccines.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Enjoying your photos, Rusty. You did see a lot of things & places on your travels.

Annette, no idea if the large art thingy was meant to be anything in particular - this island has many many of them, on a lot of prominent places or even just on traffic roundabouts. More to follow!

Clare, so pleased you are all improving. We used some "old" test kits which were supposed to be still in date, but they gave no result. Had to buy fresh ones which seem more reliable. When we had the virus back in March, I was worried about my OH as he's had a bad chest a few times, and pleurisy not long ago, but as you say, thank goodness for the jabs.

I didn't like to say at first, but we do know several people who have taken months to recover from covid - usually people who are either very elderly or who have multiple health concerns. It can be slow but it can be complete - just don't expect to just 'bounce back.' It really affects your whole general health, I think because it's an immune system thing. {{HUGS}}

• I think the problem is that Covid is so unpredictable. When I had it I coughed and sneezed for a couple of days - and nights - and then had bags of surplus energy! But the two friends who tested positive at the same time were very different - one has a number of quite serious health issues and was quite ill for about a week. The other one, who is normally fit and healthy, was still really exhausted for a good couple of months. There seems to be no 'normal'
  • Pat. I do understand what you are saying. I am usually so full of energy and get up and go. Now, not so much. Mind you, I only tested negative last Thursday so maybe I am being impatient. Perhaps I am lucky that I have no underlying conditions. I did get a call from the NHS after I reported my positive test because, having had cancer, I am eligible for the anti viral drugs. After the triage and a chat with a pharmacist, it was mutually decided that I didn’t need them. I was very impressed by the service though.
  • Yes, the NHS can sometimes be excellent. My sister is disabled, and although (stubbornly and typically!!) she got to the surgery for her Covid booster, she just couldn't make it for the flu jab. But it was arranged for her to have it at home without any fuss.
  • rusty2 said:
    I did get a call from the NHS after I reported my positive test because, having had cancer, I am eligible for the anti viral drugs.

You're actually more vulnerable than Limpy, then.  You're going to hate my saying this but you shouldn't be pushing yourself too hard - you could end up making yourself ill through sheer exhaustion.  For the meantime just live with what your body allows you to do each day, and don't try pushing it further.  It will get better.

• Re Covid, my daughter got it very badly last November and was in hospital for two months - it was touch and go for a couple of weeks. Her blood oxygen levels remained consistently very low thereafter and she had to have supplemental oxygen - until (drum roll!) she moved back to this area, which is at sea level, and everything suddenly went back to normal.  She's just back from a visit to AZ house (elevation 5,700 ft) where she noticed her oxygen levels dropping during the second week, only to magically return to normal once they came down the mountain. Meanwhile, a friend of hers in Arizona got Covid in February, was hospitalized only briefly because it wasn't that serious, but has yet to achieve former blood oxygen levels. Now she and her husband have decided to move closer to Phoenix (arghhh) at a lower elevation in the hopes that that will take care of things.  Granddaughter and I were speculating that my daughter was in a way lucky in that she was so ill she was transferred to the Covid wing of a big hospital in Phoenix while the friend was in the small local hospital for just a few days.  We're also thinking (not that it's any of our business!) that the friend and her OH are making a rash decision to sell their current home and leave the area (which they love) to move to the furnace that is the Phoenix area before seeing if the move would make a difference in her case.

Lindybird:  Which made me wonder about Sue and her recent sudden decision to up stakes and move.   How is he doing at the new place - assume the wifi etc., got sorted - and what is happening with Toffee?

Rusty:  Lovely, lovely photos of Portugal. Had no idea they had their own 'Venice' - with more colorful boats yet.  And of course, any photo of an actual river with actual water is refreshing!   As others have said, take it easy!

Clare:  Glad you and Limpy are negative.   

Dare I ask how anyone feels about Mr. Sunak?