2022/23 OFF-SEASON FREE-FOR-ALL, ***FEEDERS*** & Other Wildlife Cams

Please post here anything related to the thread title Blush 

Makov Animal Rescue Station

One of our favourites.

The Pond cam has remained throughout the year, with new-to-us maturing cygnets and fawns still at the bottle-feeding stage:

No table manners !!!

The second cam has been a White Stork nest, which I have not been following during Osprey season.  The nest is very close to the ground because the Storks can't fly!

Today I find that the second cam has reverted to the birdie feeder we love - except it's been totally refurbished!  (Wish they'd zoom out just a teeny tad.)  Improved sound !!!  And look who popped in a few seconds after I started the download Chipmunk 

This was an incidental I came across on BirdwatchingHQ (you know how he hosts lots of cams unrelated to his own):

"Nocturnal thieves..."

• So, it looks like the LotL nest was tidied up and plenty of sticks added for Laddie to get to work on when he arrives!  Great prediction, Scylla!

NEW YT URL

©SWT/LotL

• LotL has been back up for about 1h50m - it was already nightcam - lots of sticks on show Wink

Royal Albatross

Rangers checked the 2 chicks, an adult arrived right afterwards and stayed with "our" chick all night (so far):

• I'm sure I refreshed but didn't see the last two posts - sorry, girls !!!

EDIT - and I've just seen your LotL new season's thread, SANDRA - I've been planning to attack preparations but never getting around to it and now it's fallen on me like a ton of bricks, it's going to take a few days, I fear.

ConfusedUpside downTired faceFrowning2Rofl

Unknown said:
    The Owls visiting the nest boxes there recently are Tawny Owls,

It was after careful study that I decided that the owl I ID'd as a Barn Owl was a Barn Owl - I have on one or two occasions seen it slightly more clearly.  However, we all know that my sincere and earnest efforts often fall short Stuck out tongue winking eye

Another thing - the reason I came back here was to apologise because I'd meant to FF the second clip in the Albatross video, when the rangers are first approching the distant nest - sorry if that was tedious.

• Scylla, I love the Albatross video! Soooo sweet and it is lovely the adult stayed all (or at least most?) of the night.
    Re: Glaslyn. I should have said that you might have seen a Barn Owl at a box--sorry--it is just that I have not heard about any visits by Barn Owls to the boxes! Unfortunately, I cannot watch their two LSs all of the time, much as I would like to! I will ask Heather if anyone else has seen Barn Owls lately at any of the boxes (I think they have 3 boxes up at the moment but are planning more, and for several Owl species as well). There is a Zoom meeting for volunteers on Sunday and I may even hear about some Owl visits before then as well. We are off to north Wales for a holiday again in the summer.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks for all the further info, GB - wow, I hope you have a wonderful summer holiday in that beautiful countryside.

I don't want to start new threads too early, am a bit torn - selfishly, I don't want too much extraneous stuff before the arrival of the stars of the show, I plan to leave it until ALAN PETRIE's posts show promise, what do you (all) think?

And I realise that makes me bossy/possessive/what right has she?!  So if anyone else takes over, that'll be my bad luck Stuck out tongue winking eyeGrin

Come to think of it - what nests are kinda claimed already - eg, Karen will be sure to start Manton Bay, provided her health permits and we all trust it will ♥

The cam setup last evening/this morning:

I popped to Sapsucker Woods (NYC) for a while - how come they have flying squirrels but Ontario does not?

Red-bellied Woodpecker, Starling bent over on rear feeder), Hairy(?) Woodpecker, Red-winged Blackbird:

They have lots of Mourning Doves and Starlings thru the day, I haven't stopped to refresh myself on all the regulars but do remember the amazing Pixellated (haha, I can't remember the word) Woodecker once at least last year or the year before.  Pileated, that's it Stuck out tongue winking eye

Boreal Ontario:

Untreated swansongs:

Male and female Pine Grosbeaks:

Male Evening Grosbeaks:

The dear Redpolls are still visiting in droves, plus Blue & occasional Gray Jay, BC Chickadee, Woodies, Black Corvids, etc etc.

• I do like it when ma ma Albatross stays close by her  chick. Thank you Scylla and for the song bird captures too 

• Scylla, I'll set up the Foulshaw Moss 2023 thread Thumbsup

Two posts from DOP Fb...

Yesterday (1.3.23)... Just look at the nest! Scream

Today re Live Streaming switch on...

• Sandra, I saw that photo of the Dyfi nest--amazing, isn't it?! The winter winds seem to have stripped away many of the branches around the edge of the nest; much of what remains is the result of many years of soft material (and some attached soil) being brought in and which has all settled down into a solid mound. It will be interesting to see if they choose to remove any of that mound or just put sticks around it. It was only last year that some folks were remembering that those sticks on the lower levels were brought in by Monty, Nora, and Glesni, all very much missed. Different Osprey projects approach the question of clearing a nest in the winter differently, and Dyfi's approach has been to leave it for the Ospreys to sort out on the basis that rearranging what is there and bringing in sticks and other nesting material is part of the pair bonding process. It has worked well so far but this nest now needs a bit of help and of course they will do what is necessary. Some Osprey projects always clear up their nests and since most are on human-made platforms, I assume that the view is that it is human responsibility to clean up the nest. Of course I imagine that all projects which have built nests do check on the stability of their nest/nests over the winter, whether or not they also clean them. This photo does not show the entire depth of the Dyfi nest so it is hard to say what the lower bit looks like. Just think, Ospreys have been bringing sticks and softer materials to the Dyfi nest since at least 2011 and possibly for a year or more before that when Monty was occupying that nest with the bird they named Scraggly (if I remember correctly--it was something like that!) That was when long-time Osprey expert, Roy Dennis, thought that Monty was a female because Monty had a dark necklace similar to a female. Just goes to show that Ospreys continually keep us guessing--they only realised Monty was a male when a female turned up in a later season and then behaviour proved it! And what a fab partner and Dad Monty was. I love Idris (the whale catcher!) but he is not the gentleman that Monty was. I never saw Monty roughly yank at his partner's wings to get her off the eggs even though he seemed to love egg-sitting--just like Idris...sigh...Still, I hope the residents at all UK nests return safely and have successful seasons all 'round!

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi Ann,

I thought all the grass that had grown on the LotL nest before being 'pimped' the other day was bad enough! lol Good luck to whoever has the job to sort out the Dyfi nest.

Ahh, dear Monty and Glesni, those two beautiful Ospreys were the reason I started my love of these special birds. Still so sorely missed..

• SANDRA - Noted that you will start FOULSHAW MOSS,, thank you Kissing heart 

That thread was the one I used to check for dear Patily, she usually posted there if she was around.

Glaslyn - I wonder who influenced their decision to manage that nest so "strictly"?  I don't know any other like it, does anyone?