2022/23 OFF-SEASON FREE-FOR-ALL, ***FEEDERS*** & Other Wildlife Cams

Please post here anything related to the thread title Blush 

Makov Animal Rescue Station

One of our favourites.

The Pond cam has remained throughout the year, with new-to-us maturing cygnets and fawns still at the bottle-feeding stage:

No table manners !!!

The second cam has been a White Stork nest, which I have not been following during Osprey season.  The nest is very close to the ground because the Storks can't fly!

Today I find that the second cam has reverted to the birdie feeder we love - except it's been totally refurbished!  (Wish they'd zoom out just a teeny tad.)  Improved sound !!!  And look who popped in a few seconds after I started the download Chipmunk 

This was an incidental I came across on BirdwatchingHQ (you know how he hosts lots of cams unrelated to his own):

"Nocturnal thieves..."

IMAGICAT

• really nice to see the goings on along the river and the farmer  ? with his son

Let's hope people honour the warning notice and leave the Ospreys in peace

Thank you Scylla. . Won't be long now before the white fluff  of the chick (which is gorgeous ) becomes feathers    

• The Makov Otter is back online, in place of the Pond cam.  Don't know how long it's been there, I decided to put Makov cams back on and found the surprise.  But the cams have been very unreliable, I had to delete loads of fragments.

Looks like it's a dish of dead ducklings that they put down half out of sight - the GW Egret makes a big beaky song 'n dance of every one - here's a sample - the Storks and Heron also dip into this dish.

Ryl Albatross took no notice of a passing cargo boat:

Lsst evening the wind sounded quite cruel but a passing boat showed no sign of being buffeted:

The last full day there were hardly any bird visitors or flyers overhead!

Boreal Ontario

Well that was unusual - 07:45 a solitary Common Redpoll was first in and remained totally alone for 5 minutes, until a BC Chickadee took over

Soon all the normal birdies arrived - including another pale Redpoll later:

Glaslyn

Tawny Owl is stil hunting from the same box but we didn't get a good view last night.  This was the Barn Owl about to fly off:

This Robin arrived while the sun was showing off the spider's web, it went to the perch but was lost in bright blurry streaks:

IMAGICAT

• Nearly all the cams went haywire yesterday afternoon/evening, so I switched off completely.  Who knows what never-to-be-repeated treasures were missed?

Makov

A scruffy-headed Jay was quickly in-n-out:

Then a bull-in-china-shop Pheasant intruded for a good feed:

The Makov Otter cam isn't fit for purpose in IR mode, cos the cam seems to have a lot of reflections/motes in it.  And what a shame that there's no stick for the Otter to play with this year - I wonder why?
    =========

Ryl Albatross

NZ Dept of Conservation Facebook:

The busy hatching period at Pukekura/Taiaroa Head is over, for the season.
    Our rangers have worked tirelessly to get through this period, making sure all the northern royal albatross eggs, chicks, nests and parents were monitored and cared for.
    The reward for all this hard work was welcoming 33 new chicks to the colony, which the team are so pleased about. This is the second highest number of chicks to ever hatch at Pukekura!
    Even though this busy period is over, our rangers will continue their work right through until the chicks have fledged. They'll be weighing and monitoring the chicks and will do things like supplementary feeding, to those that need it.
    Here are some snaps taken from the live stream, from some of the fans.
    You can join the discussion with the rest of the fans, and get the latest news directly from the local team by visiting here: https://bit.ly/3H777SV
    Like always, get your dose of cuteness by tuning into the Royal Cam LIVE  stream here: https://bit.ly/2MyVNUi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family y'day/today gets checked over by the brightly-garbed rangers:
    Parental changeover
    Some nice vocals - but in order to show them off I had to reduce the horrendous wind:
    Another food passover but adults didn't swap - I think:

IMAGICAT

• Golly gosh, the wonderful Albatross calm after the bull in a china shop cock pheasant

A lot of hard work  there Scylla, very many thank yous. Great to see the otter again.

• Loch of the Lowes

14 Feb

I was hoping this was a female Blackbird (after trying to pick CIRRUS's brains over the ether without her knowing)... but the throat, or what we can see of it, looks rather white and speckly ???  The voice doesn't seem scratchy enough for Mistle Thrush...

IMAGICAT

• Pity we couldn't see the chest clearly Scylla, am gonna throw Redwing & Fieldfare into the mix (courtesy of BTO)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• scylla said:

Loch of the Lowes

14 Feb

I was hoping this was a female Blackbird (after trying to pick CIRRUS's brains over the ether without her knowing)... but the throat, or what we can see of it, looks rather white and speckly ???  The voice doesn't seem scratchy enough for Mistle Thrush...

Yes you are correct Scylla, female blackbird, they have that throaty  cluck cluck noise.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• WendyBartter said:
    am gonna throw Redwing & Fieldfare into the mix

Thank you sincerely for taking the trouble, WENDY Blush  I wouldn't have considered either of those because I've never (consciously) seen them (except occasionally in BirdGuides Photo of the Week), you know what a limited palette I have Grin

Lynn L said:
    female blackbird, they have that throaty  cluck cluck noise.

That was what tipped the scales in spite of the throat appearance, I listened to several videos.

IMAGICAT

• Makov

The Otter's icy pool gets refreshed and the Otter enjoyed trying to drink from the refilling hose:

IMAGICAT

• Re the BB on LoTL nest - Absolutely Scylla   The gentle call was (excuse me) obvious and as she turned her feathers were certainly brown and not black - some feathers at times seem darker than others.  I often have to look twice and BBs foraging for sultanas on my lawn  (I still have 7 who visit and two are female)