2022/23 OFF-SEASON FREE-FOR-ALL, ***FEEDERS*** & Other Wildlife Cams

Please post here anything related to the thread title Blush 

Makov Animal Rescue Station

One of our favourites.

The Pond cam has remained throughout the year, with new-to-us maturing cygnets and fawns still at the bottle-feeding stage:

No table manners !!!

The second cam has been a White Stork nest, which I have not been following during Osprey season.  The nest is very close to the ground because the Storks can't fly!

Today I find that the second cam has reverted to the birdie feeder we love - except it's been totally refurbished!  (Wish they'd zoom out just a teeny tad.)  Improved sound !!!  And look who popped in a few seconds after I started the download Chipmunk 

This was an incidental I came across on BirdwatchingHQ (you know how he hosts lots of cams unrelated to his own):

"Nocturnal thieves..."

IMAGICAT

• 08 November - Has the Scottish version of the Greenfinch arrived?  I can't swear that they're all the same individual.  Haven't seen it again up to 16:00 today.

A greeting from the Czech Republic:

The lovely black squirrel:

Get your Christmas turkey at Gettysburg Grin 

Lots more to do but need to pack up now.

IMAGICAT

• Not sure about the 'greenfinch' Scylla. It isn't like any juvie greenfinch in this country and if it was a greenfinch in this  country it would have to be a juvie with those  colours. it isn't a male or female greenfinch either, so  is someone has an idea myself and Scylla would like to hear it please.

Also, the beak is actually not  ''finch'' enough for a greenfinch - this bird's beak is more delicate. Oh well, nothing to offer just doubt it's a Greenie

Otherwise, I enjoyed all the  videos, thank you        Grin

• My answer to Scylla and Cirrus re 'greenfinch'. I was also puzzled by the bird in the video, but put it to the back of my mind (a very murky place!). Today I looked at the video again.The bird is clearly a finch. I checked in three different field guides, and in the third (Birds of Britain and Europe, by Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow, I found a footnote. 'GREENFINCH All populations have two forms, some more greyish, the other more brownish.' My conclusion is the the bird in the video is the brownish form of greenfinch!
  • A lovely black Squirrel. Lots of activity in the videos Scylla and such varied colours in the lovely birdies. Also confused re the Greenfinch but Jill's post makes sense. Thanks for all your time and efforts in keeping us updated with these videos, it is very much appreciated. Purple heart

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thank you very much CIRRUS & JILL (and glad you enjoy the vids, CATLADY!) for studying my mystery bird.

I've had this comment from a YouTuber (no credentials for her, it's one of those accounts with no vids or any other info): "I think it's a female Eurasian siskin. Too small to be a greenfinch".

Before I posted that video I checked Siskin - I'd already been checking them actually, deducing that we'd have to wait for Spring, I meant to ask y'all but hadn't got around to it.

YouTube has been poshing up their interface and features, resulting in broken search and withdrawal of Newest/Oldest First.  I think if you're not a monetizing influencer you can take a running jump as far as they're concerned - they are gradually ditching every feature that's useful to me.

IMAGICAT

• I'm sticking with greenfinch! Great tit appears with our subject bird at 3.42 - bird is clearly bigger than great tit. Siskins are smaller and always have streaking on flanks. Subject bird has no streaks at all.
  • JillR said:
    I'm sticking with greenfinch!

Me too!  I know I'm not a birder but I really spent a lot of time on it, and I thought this from Makov clinched it:

I'm not spending time now to find exact pose from LG:

LG Feeder cont'd

Just to show that Cresties are still visiting.  Would you believe I put 10 JUNE on it, that's why I had to make a black panel to put the correct date on Astonished

The 3 tits, Chaffie and GSW continue to feed between squirrel-hoggings.

Next day I switched off LG because it went down, and forgot to switch back on.

Boreal Ontario

Two flying squirrels:

Gettysburg feeder

What a start to the day - Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, European Starling, Blue Jay, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Mourning Dove, Brown-headed Cowbird, American Crow.- with little aggression apart from a tetchy Cowbird among them

Later, I think these were Purple Finches but I can't distinguish vs House Finches when they don't show their purpleness, which they often don't - and I think it was a White-breasted Nuthatch on the corner for a couple of seconds:

Oh dear, must take a break and I'm still on the 10th !!!

IMAGICAT

• Please Jill, don't you  mean 'greyish' ? I've  never seen a 'grey' greenfinch in England. Thank you, I've leaned something new 

• Rage  I'm on your side Scylla.

• I should have  liked to have given the Gettysburg video two 'likes'.. Loved the  'snaps'. Thanks  Scylla