Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 September 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, happy week. 

• I assume we are continuing on here for now Lindy!!! I think we are all a bit disoriented with the big upheavals which are going on. Also, you have your eyes to worry about. It is nice and sunny in my part of North Wales today so I hope it is where you are too and that you enjoy some more lovely scenery.
    Annette - I am pleased for you with the owls. A friend of mine about a mile away can hear owls if she stands in her back garden. Sadly I can’t as there are no mature trees around here. This estate is built on what what common scrubland.
    Clare - I think that sorry of how Limpy was let down by the NHS is shocking. That is a major issue he is dealing with. On a much smaller scale, a friend of mine is trying to get her ears syringed (or what ever they do they days) but cannot get an NHS appointment. Apparently at a local private clinic it is £60. Well, she hasn’t got that. Meanwhile her ears are blocked and, consequently, her hearing aids done work properly either. The clinic at the hospital where she used to go isn’t doing procedures like that at the moment!!!
    On a brighter note. I went out with a couple of friends yesterday to Chester Zoo. I don’t know what people think of zoos but Chester is excellent as they go. We love the planting schemes there which are mostly now wildflowers and grasses. We saw the baby giraffe and the splendid new male tiger they have got. We walked 3 miles in all and had a nice light lunch in their posh Bistro type place.
    Am at home today doing “domestics” as my dad used to say.
  • Rusty2- Your friend might try a "DIY" kit from a pharmacy. It usually contains a bottle of ear oil that you set in a bowl of hot water until it's warm and squirt in your ear until wax loosens then use the included syringe that's filled with warm water until the wax comes out. (hopefully) usually works unless wax is impacted.
  • Annette - How lovely not only to hear but also to see the owls! I'm very fond of owls. I hear them quite often where I live, I remember many years ago when I lived in London. My garage was a little away from my flat and just as I got there, around 6.30am - it was still dark - there was a little owl sitting on a fence 'twoowoo-ing' to me. I'm sure he was saying, 'Good morning - what are you doing out at this ridiculous time of day?' I only ever saw him once, although I went out at that time most mornings. Lovely way to start the day. And for you, a lovely way to finish the day.
  • bjane- thank you for that suggestion. I will pass it on to my friend.
    I planted a pot of tête à têtes today. Monty Don on Gardeners World said it was time. I will enjoy their cheerfulness in the spring.
  • I too, love tete a tetes as they're so cheerful when you are longing for a bit of colour after winter.

Been to Caernarfon for shopping, & also bought a nice "Happiness in Your New Home" card for Sue, who's been given a date for moving of next Friday. As we are here this weekend, & will be knee deep in kitchen equipment next week, I won't be able to help her to pack. However, she has 2 daughter in laws and 4 teenage grandchildren who can help-- & I was already dreading it as I would have been weeping as I sat in her beautiful home getting ready for her to leave :- ((
  • It's been reasonably sunny here & we've just been for coffee & shortbread at a friend's caravan- they have picture windows with stunning views of the sea and the Isle of Anglesey in the distance. We all exchanged medical notes as one of them is preparing for a hip replacement and the other also has eye problems.

Rusty - we used to take the children to Chester Zoo and its a well run place. Makes me a bit sad now, though, to see animals in cages or compounds.  

Love Owls, and often get sent pics of them online from a Site which shows Owls around the world- such a huge variety of birds of all sizes!