Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 September 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, happy week. 

• My cataracts are indeed worse as I said, and normally I would be referred for surgery, but the optician said that in cases such as this, the surgeons are reluctant to operate. So I may have to wait 2 years or more, until its very much worse. Bah.

• Heather B said:
    I seem to remember that both of your OH s have Parkinson's Disease.

He does.  That's not why he falls, though.  He's a disabled War Pensioner - he was medically discharged from the army in 1983, after a number of tours in Northern Ireland.  His knees were in a terrible state, even then.  He was advised that he needed knee replacements but as he was only 29 at the time he wasn't given them as he was too young.  He waited for more than 25 years, deteriorating all the time, but was continually told he was still too young.  On being made redundant in 2011 he tried pushing for the knee replacements again, only to be told that he'd deteriorated too much and the operations could kill him.  The worse he gets, the more he falls.  Part of me blames the NHS for leaving him in such a state, for such a long time.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• CLARE - I'm appalled and so sorry that you and LIMPY have been so let down.
  • Clare - That's such a sad story, and a terrible indictment of the NHS. I'm horrified.

And Lindy - It's awful that you have to wait another two years for your cataract procedure. I know they won't do it until it reaches a particular level of deterioration, but it sounds as though you are easily at that stage. The procedure itself takes about fifteen minutes, and there is very little nursing care required apart from drops for about an hour before

The older I get, the less I understand ...
  • Clare, as said, that is dreadful. I'm lost for words. You must both feel very let down.
  • Pat, I know the procedure, thank you, as I helped my OH through it both times. I don't know whether to be relieved that my plans for the rest of this year are not to be disrupted, or whether to be frustrated as I will of course be getting older whilst waiting for it to be done. I'm already having trouble reading and no amount of new specs will help that, as I read without them!

I thought that the best part of today was hearing that a queue had formed, to join the queue...... To join the Real Queue to see our Queen. How very British!

• Lindybird/Clare::  That doesn't make any sense at all.   Why are surgeons reluctant to operate when knees/eyes are clearly in bad shape and are not likely to get better on their own?   Are they hoping their patients will keel over before theydo surgery, thus saving the NHS money?   If you had private insurance I bet they'd do it.   When I was considering cataract surgery, the doc said I could wait another year, but that he lets patients tell him when deteriorating eyesight interferes with their daily routine.   That's just awful and more than exasperating!!

Had a shower last night (well, I have one most nights - or days!) and as I was heading back to 'my' room where the windows were opened I heared the strangest noise outside.  I thought it was cats, or some critter in distress, so went out with the flashlight and realized it was coming from high up.  Shone the torch up to see two really huge owls perched side-by-side on the phone lines apparently chatting to each other.  I've only ever heard them doing their twit-twoo call and, clueless that I am, had no idea they made other noises.  

Have been popping in and out of Westminster Hall and don't get tired of watching the people's faces as they file past the catafalque. It's four in the morning and I have to wonder how long have they been standing in line - we're hearing reports of 9 hours and counting...    My daughter's doc wanted her to go in for a follow up visit fist thing Monday morning and we both chorused: "Can't do Monday; we'll be watching the Queen's funeral!"  

Have a good Saturday all and if you're reading Diane, don't feel compelled (impelled?) to start us off!

• I just read the above, & dec ided to start the new thread off! Must be over excited, or else bamboozled by watching so much footage from London! Just ignore me!!
  • Annette, lovely that you saw the owls. We've heard them make odd noises as sometimes we get them on our roof.

Very moving, hearing some of the many tales from those who have met Her Majesty. I do so wish that people queuing up for many hours to view the coffin would not take very young children with them.