Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 September 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, happy week. 

• I agree about shoes -- no one seems to polish their shoes now, or else they wear the kind which don't need polishing.

We got to Wales without incident, even though we hit a roadworks (again! - they're improving the roads here) but the worst queues seemed to be in the opposite direction.

All is well here but we're both tired after the effort of getting here: because as the kitchen fitter is coming midweek next week, we began moving things already. Also, haven't put everything away yet which we got out of the loft recently, as some of it needs sorting over. <sigh> Kitchen guy couldn't come at a worse time. Hope we don't get run over as the house looks like a jumble sale! :-0
  • LINDA – It must be so disappointing not to have your cataracts removed. I don’t understand this “not bad enough to operate”. Sight is so important. What if Docs said one’s cancer not bad enough, or heart attack not bad enough.

I have a very sad & sorry OH. He fell over this morn, landing on carpet & luckily missed hitting his head on anything. He is feeling very sore, though no bruising has appeared. As it hurts to move, I fetched walking stick & walker (zimmer, I think you name it) so he can get out of chair easily.

• Oh dear AQ

So sorry to read of Hubby;s fall, not a good sign , as we get older, do hope he has not cracked any bones.
    and that you can pace yourself, as am sure he will place extra on your already busy self.

Take care both.

• Good morning all from Suffolk and many apologoes for not posting but I can assure you I do read all of your posts every day.

I don't seems to have had much time since my Nanny duty at end end of Aug/beg Sept.

Only decent walk I had was on Sunday over at Dunwich - we met in the beach car park and walked up past the remains of the Greyfriars Monastery which has an interesting history

http://www.dunwichgreyfriars.org.uk

Then throught the woods which was good at it turned very warm with lots of sun here. We were out for a good 3 hours and when I checked that plus a walk to church in the morning meant I hit over 16000 steps for the day.

Naturally I was very sad at the sudden death of The Queen and have been watching on and off but like Heather I cannot watch for long and prefer the radio.

Thankfully all of my Children and their families are all well with my Eldest Granddaughter Sephi - sitting her 11+ yesterday and the youngest Lily starting at the nursery class at the same school that her Brother James goes which is much better for the parents as before they were both going in the opposite directions.

Well I have a booked slot at the recycling centre at 9.30 and my ex Sister in Law is arriving later for a couple of days., so I better get going.

Have a good weekend all!

• aquilareen said:
    I don’t understand this “not bad enough to operate”

That just means 'we've got a massive queue going back years, we're short staffed and there isn't the money'.

I worry about the state of our NHS.  Limpy had a hospital stay earlier this year - he was getting chest pains, which needed investigation.  During four days in hospital they couldn't find out what the problem was.  He should have been released on the second day but he had a fall on the ward, which meant they delayed his release.  He fell again on the fourth day - he'd been helped to the shower room but nobody came when he rang for help to get back to his bed, which meant he tried to get back alone.  Inevitably he fell, and the hospital tried to insist that he stay in!  We'd both had enough of the falling, though, and I took him home against medical advice.  Neither of us saw any point in his staying in a place where there weren't enough staff to keep him safe, however individually skilled they were.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• That's shocking, Clare. Don't blame you for getting him home.

Good Morning. Bright here. Think I've seen enough queue interviews - the TV likes this sort of thing as it's easy for them & I guess everyone has a story.

Big argument raging online as to why/whether Princes Andrew & Harry should or shouldn't wear their uniforms. Sounds like a typical family to me, where disagreements & arguments abound.

AQ - So sorry to hear about your OHs fall. Hope he soon recovers & it's not too debilitating.
  • AQ So sorry to hear of your OHs fall and also to Clare who decided to bring LIMPY home as it would be safer for him.

Lindy I have had both cataracts done separately,,, the first about 9 years ago when I was 57 which is quite young for the op. The optician told me to exaggerate my problems when I went for the assessment with the eye clinic. My first 2 questions were not really appropriate as I don't drive and didn't use a computer at work. The 3rd question was how I found stairs and kerb edges and without any exaggeration I had to say "Nightmare"...occassionaly I had to ask strangers for help when in town on my own. I found out then that the cataract was right in the centre and therefore the most problematic. After the op the difference was amazing and Oh noticed I came down our 2 front steps without any thought. I think I had to wait 3 or 4 years from being told I had a cataract to having the first op.
  • AQ and CLARE - I was sorry to read about the falls. I seem to remember that both of your OH s have Parkinson's Disease. CLARE - I would have done exactly the same as you did.
  • Hello. Beautifully sunny here, & also I noticed, in Cardiff where our new King is making his visit.

Just been for a coastal walk to watch the waves and to see the mountain ranges looking beautiful, too. On the way back we discussed getting some fish & chips for our supper tonight but then decided to have them for lunch, to save a journey. It was very pleasant, although we asked for salt & vinegar and the girl has put way too much salt on them, so we're thirsty now!