Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 September 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a joyful week. 

Looks like the autumn rains are coming early here this year. Lots of electrical thunderstorms last week with power outages and more forecast for this week.

I woke up in the night once this week and nearly climbed up the wall because I thought a scorpion was in bed with me. It was only a very long Trig, though. A Trig is a grasshopper-like bug. That species tries to come indoors this time of year. I'm not afraid of them, but they're very loud and annoying. They make a sound like metal gears grinding. I relocated that one outdoors.

• Out to lunch with school friend. It was a very long lunch, er chat. We sorted the world!!! OH waited until I returned (oops) before he set out for his daily walk. Lovely spring sunny day 20 C. Tomorrow heavy rain, possible thunderstorm.
    I don’t want much for evening meal after my lunch - bacon, lettuce, tomato foccacia. With high lettuce prices that was replaced by spinach leaves. It was spoilt – oozing, absolutely dripping with olive oil. In moderation please.
  • Lindy - congratulations re the ironing. Most annoying about the bank and cash machine though. An all too familiar tale these days I am afraid.
    AQ - glad you enjoyed your lunch out. I am with you re the drowning of things in oil and dressings.
    French was good yesterday. We didn’t spend long on J P Belmondo. We spent much longer discussing the proposed introduction of 20 mph speed limits in urban areas in Wales. We, here, are part of an experiment they are conducting and therefore could have a very lively discussion about it. Apparently they have done the same in Paris apart from the périphérique and some of the Grands Boulevards. We read several interesting newspaper articles about it and discussed them.
    Total change today. I am taking myself off for a pleasant walk around my local RSPB reserve. There have been reports of some interesting migrants arriving. I have made a picnic.
  • SunnyKate2 said:
    Re AQ's Senior Text Guide.
    I saw this one today as well

TWHGM The World has gone Mad

Hope you all can enjoy your week.

I think we probably all do that one, SunnyKate!

• Not been 100% - back to 80% today. Will have a read through before tomorrow!

Just one comment - a sad day for us all with that woman in charge!
  • Glad you managed a pleasant chatty lunch out, AQ-- nothing quite like a couple of women to put the world to rights!

I hate too much salad dressing, too. Just a bit is fine.

Two days ago I lost a post in which I described (in probably too long a detail) how my OH had decided to Make Jam, which of course, being a man, is a major operation. He took over the kitchen and I gladly stayed out of the way. I'm grateful that he does this annual ritual, by the way, as I think its rather time consuming.

So, out came the Big Jam Pan and he set to, to make three different lots of jam and cover the work surfaces in goo. To get the big pan out, he had to move a whole lot of stuff in a deep cupboard we have underneath everything. In there I keep little used things and all the big rolls of cling film, tinfoil etc. As I reviewed these, I discovered that although I had been asked to add foil to my shopping list recently, there were in fact three rolls unopened of this, plus one opened one and a large (Christmas turkey sized) roll of it. He takes over when we do a roast these days, and uses lots of foil on top of whatever it is. Now, we've got enough for the whole of the rest of this year and possibly next year. No wonder the cupboard was bursting! Also at the back of the cupboard and unused is a wonderful big roasting dish which I used to use, with a lid and ironically, no need for foil. Ho hum.

• OG you came on whilst I was wittering. Sorry you've not been 100 per cent, and hope you will feel better soon.

Wagging a finger at you as politics can be contentious! No comment!

Rusty, enjoy your picnic. And the reserve. Saw a goldfinch in our garden this morning, probably looking at my feeders to see if it fancied anything. Some of our neighbours seem to get whole flocks of them but they turn their noses (beaks?) up at my offerings.
  • Hope you are better soon OG

Benson was at the vets again today.. He has a temperature but nothing the vet can pin down. He has to take metacalm and hopefully 48 hours will see him right.
  • That's worrying for you dibnlib. Hope he will be alright.

On another forum someone asked about why they no longer see little white offerings dropped by dogs, these days. Someone else came on and pointed out that dogs are hardly ever given bones to chomp on now, which would have caused it. Of course! LOL!!
  • Today's quotes: (I hope these are helping with church newsletters throughout the land!)

Grow old along with me!
    The best is yet to be,
    The last of life, for which the first was made.
    Our times are in his hand.

Robert Browning.

"You are old, Father William" the young man said,
    "And your hair has become very white:
    And yet you incessantly stand on your head -
    Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

Lewis Carroll