Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 August 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week. 

I've read all of your news. I have a lot of important tasks with time deadlines weighing on me right now, and I can't seem to summon much energy to do them. I'll catch up with you all soon. 

Take care of yourselves. Those in the U.K., stay cool!

• HOLY COW!! I thought ours were bad!
  • Love the dog and cat pic.
  • Good evening. Light showers went on most of the day so didn't get in the garden - and will be too wet for deck treatment tomorrow. Haircuts tomorrow lunchtime, so probably won't get into the study to use my PC. Have a good weekend, all of you.
  • We also had rain, this afternoon. Garden desperately needs it. Glad you managed a day out, OG

I went shopping & realised that I'd seen no one I knew, apart from my OH, for days. Years ago I sometimes had to hide in the supermarket as not enough time to chat to the many other mums and neighbours I met every time I went out!

Bonnie came home this morning with a whole lot of teazels and burrs, stuck in her ears and chest. I've had to tease them out and cut some away with scissors. She put up with it without complaint.

AQ - Glad you managed to get some books!

• Today's quotes:

Pick the right grandparents, don't eat or drink too much, be circumspect in all things, and take a two mile walk every morning before breakfast.
    Harry D.Truman on how to reach the age of 80.

Life's a tough proposition but the first hundred years are the hardest.
    Wilson Mizner.
  • Good Morning. Dry and sunny here, after a little rain yesterday.

Hope that OG & EE can enjoy their haircuts!! Always makes you feel better.

Horrified at the descriptions of tryng to get decent gardeners. My OH has just been persuaded to buy a long pair of extendable loppers, so that he doesnt need to climb ladders for the difficult bits. I dread the time he can't do the gardening, as he will hate paying anyone else to do it! But perhaps that day will arrive. A lot of our elderly neighbours have people who cut the grass and/or the hedges. It's quite an industry around here.
  • Good morning. OG - You sound to have a lovely day out the other day. Enjoy your haircuts today.
    I had a very pleasant walk and lunch out with my friend yesterday. We sat in the gazebo in the pub’s lovely garden. We walked back along the canal. Didn’t see the kingfisher though.
    Today I am taking my friend with the broken arm to our local hospital for a physio session. She is going to treat me to lunch out afterwards. (All these lunches out!!!!)
    I know what you mean Lindy about not seeing other people for a while. My local supermarket is like a social club sometimes and I tend to meet lots of people there. On rare occasions, I see no one I know there and it feels strange.
  • Miss10’s teacher has set the class a project. Each child has to produce a digital photo of 10 objects brought to Aussieland by ancestors. Now this may be easy for those who arrived since WWII but most of ours arrived 1839-1855 and little has survived. I have found 3 of the ships online – not sure if that counts. OH has a prayer book, given to his g-m before she left, inscribed “. . . till we meet again”. Sadly they did not. The lessons are part of HASS. What’s that? Humanities and Social Studies. Of course, I should have know that History, etc has to be renamed.
  • AQ - it seems as if many who emigrated lost touch with their families. I might have relatives in Australia, since one of my father's brothers left the Scottish Highlands for Australia and apparently was never heard of again. This would have been in the early 20th century - my dad was born in 1891, thats,all I know ! Your family history sounds much more interesting....and you know the ships, etc ! I believe that there were many female immigrants ?