Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 August 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week. 

I've read all of your news. I have a lot of important tasks with time deadlines weighing on me right now, and I can't seem to summon much energy to do them. I'll catch up with you all soon. 

Take care of yourselves. Those in the U.K., stay cool!

• Morning all
    AQ - I hope you aren't overdoing it at your daughter's house....
    ANNETTE - Ditto !
  • Good Morning. Drizzle here! Not proper rain yet, but hopefully it will turn into something to water the garden My OH has gone off to golf again & I'm going out on errands again.

Yes, hope that Annette is not tiring herself by doing too much. Thinking of OG, EE and J and hope things are going to turn around.

AQ - That's brilliant Osprey news - so heartening that there are people who are caring enough to take action and give them a hand. Good Luck to them all, both ospreys and people!
  • I've just sacked my lady gardeners. Got the invoice for £96 for two grass cuts. I don't have a lot of grass. They are here and gone in about 15 minutes. Work that out :-)
  • Dau & I spent an hour chatting before I folded the last of yesterday’s wash, then hung today’s wash. Washed up what didn’t fit in her dishwasher and it was time for lunch & another long chat. Four hours have never passed so quickly. On way home I detoured to a library near her suburb and collected 6 books; two of them “New Books” that my library won’t have for months.

Gee whiz HEATHER, those gardeners have delusions.

• That’s outrageous Heather!!!! My gardener, who comes once a year to chop back the hedges and bushes, charges me about that amount for the 4 or so hours it takes to do it! He also takes all the rubbish away with him too.
    I am going out for lunch with a friend soon. We are going to walk from her house to a very nice pub by a canal.
  • Heather - Quite right! That's outrageous. I have a lovely gardening lady who comes every couple of months or so during the summer, works really hard for an hour and charges me £10.50 - she apologised last time for adding the 50p! She's a 'proper' gardener who used to work at Kew and has all sorts of letters after her name. I only have a tiny garden and she can do it in an hour. She then moves on and does my neighbour's. No mowing - that's done by the groundsmen. If you weren't so far away I'm sure she would be happy to do yours as well ...

We have had two days of quite torrential rain - instead of filling the bird bath this morning I had to empty some of the water out or the birds would have drowned! The grass is greening up again and everything is recovering - isn't nature wonderful?

Rusty - Hope you enjoy your lunch. Sounds a lovely place.

AQ - What a positive time you seem to have had with your daughter. So good to meet up with family.

Lindy - Sorry to hear about Sue's decision to move. I hope she doesn't live to regret the decision. Will she still be close enough to visit? I know you and your OH enjoy spending time with her - and of course Bonnie enjoys visiting her friend Toffee as well!
  • Heather - Quite right! That's outrageous. I have a lovely gardening lady who comes every couple of months or so during the summer, works really hard for an hour and charges me £10.50 - she apologised last time for adding the 50p! She's a 'proper' gardener who used to work at Kew and has all sorts of letters after her name. I only have a tiny garden and she can do it in an hour. She then moves on and does my neighbour's. No mowing - that's done by the groundsmen. If you weren't so far away I'm sure she would be happy to do yours as well ...

We have had two days of quite torrential rain - instead of filling the bird bath this morning I had to empty some of the water out or the birds would have drowned! The grass is greening up again and everything is recovering - isn't nature wonderful?

Rusty - Hope you enjoy your lunch. Sounds a lovely place.

AQ - What a positive time you seem to have had with your daughter. So good to meet up with family.

Lindy - Sorry to hear about Sue's decision to move. I hope she doesn't live to regret the decision. Will she still be close enough to visit? I know you and your OH enjoy spending time with her - and of course Bonnie enjoys visiting her friend Toffee as well!
  • Good morning (Thursday).

LINDA – loved the sock into lid joke – happens frequently here!!! Hope you can settle on useful supplements if you feel you need them – I avoid them all because I am on so many prescribed medications. Sue’s new place sounds lovely – wish they would build developments like that around here! Sorry her decision is upsetting you so much – but it is her choice. Will her dog still be with her despite the lack of garden?

DIANE – sorry to see you are overwhelmed with deadlines – though I suppose this is good in that you are nearer getting your renovations done.

PAT – welcome out of the fog which was covid brain! Have been thinking of you down south through the big drought and now the storms – take care.

HEATHER – don’t envy you the three hormonal daughters all at the same time – maybe there is something to be said for the distance between ours! Sorry lady gardeners didn’t work out for you – ours never reappeared after the June bill, but OH is keeping up a bit better now at last – out there now doing a bit.

RUSTY – sorry you have another friend with multiple difficulties. I know you want to help, but don’t get too involved.

AQ – take care at Daughter’s house – don’t help too much! Maybe her OH will help you find a suitable printer. I feel that technology is leaving me behind – can’t invest in anything new as I wouldn’t know what to do with it!

Yesterday was lovely – a real sunny summer day with just reasonable heat. OH and I planned to go out after lunch but J is back “on the sick” so he came too. We only went for a nosey at the changes to Gretna Gateway Outlet (now known as “Caledonia Park”). I don’t like the style of the renovations, but at least it is well-integrated and clean. There are still a number of empty units, but we enjoyed browsing and a small amount of shopping – we hardly ever buy clothes, so not much for us really. First thing we found was a new place selling coffee and donuts – so both of them were happy (I don’t like donuts at all); had excellent aircon! We hung around so long that I eventually said we could keep our casserole (left it in a slow oven) for today and end the time out with a visit to Pizza Express. J ate a pizza and then a brownie, OH had a chicken starter thing and I had a really lovely bruschetta – plenty for me although on the starter list. I also ordered a nice crunchy slaw which I shared with OH, and my dessert was a spare spoon to help out with his sundae – just enough to replace savoury taste with a bit of sweetness.

I set off with continuous and exhausting sneezing from bedtime to 3 am, got out of bed and back in and then got a snooze until morning. Some drizzle today but dry enough for him to do some dead-heading between times and J has walked down to collect a new prescription – he also has a referral for a mental consultation at last (well, in September). I think that if the Academy phones with a part time offer he likes, he might accept (they go back Monday).