LLYN BRENIG August 2022

Link to JULY 2022

Our Osprey family taken on 7th July, 2022.

Our chicks on 31st July, 2022. Olwen flying in to join her family. 

This was a new nest erected for 2022 season to replace the one vandalised in 2021 after this pair and just laid their first egg.

Our male, blue LJ2  (2018 South Argyll) arrived on 6th April 2022.

Our female, blue LM6  (2018 Menteith, Stirling) arrived on 10th April 2022.

This is our young adult osprey pair’s first successful breeding season.

First egg  25th April. Second egg 28th April. Third egg 1st May.

Eggs hatched 1st June, 3rd June, 5th June (3rd chick died on day of hatching) Broken heart

Chicks ringed ringed 4th July, chick #1 blue X6 female,  chick #2 blue KA9 male.

Chicks named  7th July - X6 Olwen - KA9 Gelert as chosen by public vote on Brenig Facebook.

8th July, it was noticed LM6’s blue darvic ring had split and fallen off her leg onto the nest on 7th July.  She now only has a silver BTO ring on her right leg.

The first born chick, X6/Olwen fledged at 55 days old at 12.45 on 26th July.

The second born chick KA9/Gelert fledged at 55 days old at 07.29 on 28th July.

Today on 1st August, the chicks are 61 and 59 days old respectively. 

Brenig Osprey Project is a collaboration between Dŵr Cymru/Welsh Water, North Wales Wildlife Trust and the RSPB.

Link to northwaleswildlifetrust.org.uk

• Hello again Wave Well, I didn’t realise that Gelert wasn’t first to the fish this morning.

There was a lot of calling in the vicinity before LJ2 flew onto the nest to claim the fish.

Gelert was hot on his tail though arriving within seconds of LJ2, screaming “That’s my fish!”

Gelert landed and immediately went for the fish

or maybe not! He grabbed LJ2’s foot and pulled it until he let go of the fish.

LJ2 quickly flew off to the nearby trees to perch with Gelert mantling and screeching. (LJ2 magnified)

• So the story doesn’t finish there! Olwen arrived around 06.40

She stayed on the nest with Gelert as he ate. She made no attempt to steal the fish. 

Around 20 minutes later approximately 07.00, Gelert stepped off the fish, cleaned his beak and flew to the nearby trees.

Now this surprised me, Olwen ignored the fish and followed Gelert to sit next to him on the tree.

The fish now left on the nest, LJ2 who is never far away when there’s a half fish around, flew down to collect it despite Olwen’s screeches from the tree.

Olwen immediately left her perch and flew down towards the nest. This disturbed LJ2 and he reacted by taking off very hurriedly 

He caught some loose sticks along with the fish as he flew upwards

and as he rose higher into the air, the fish dropped down  Frowning2️ (fish magnified)

Shame it didn’t land on the nest!

Olwen landed on the nest calling for fish 

and LJ2 landed with a stick a few minutes later, nearly landing on Olwen’s head initially! 

• Olwen has continually been on and off the nest all day fish calling. I’ve not seen any delivered. She is currently settled, sitting down quietly in the middle of the nest as the rain falls. 16.26

• At last, a FISH for OLWEN!! 18.14 and LM6 delivers a large headless specimen. Olwen is overjoyed judging by the noise she’s making!

Camera images are smudgy with the rain but Olwen quickly and noisily takes the fish!

Gelert flies down soon after from the trees.

Olwen tucks into her meal.

• Is Gelert's name pronounced with a hard or soft G?
  • Is Gelert's name pronounced with a hard or soft G?
  • 19.17 Olwen is still eating her fish closely watched by Gelert. Suddenly, Gelert sees his parent arriving and backs back calling.

And it’s LJ2 with a nice sized headless fish. There’s a lot of wing flapping amongst the 3 birds as the exchange is made.

Both chicks enjoying their supper. In order from front, LJ2, Gelert, Olwen.

Olwen soon finishes eating and leaves the nest. 

She returns a few minutes later. The chicks are distracted by something. (Gelert left, Olwen right)

Once settled again, Gelert eats a little more then moves away from his fish and Olwen goes to hers and starts eating again. 

• patily said:
    Is Gelert's name pronounced with a hard or soft G?

That’s a really good question and I’ve no idea Patily!  In my head I say a hard G and pronounce the names phonetically as in English but the Welsh language is so different so I’m probably totally wrong! 

• Around 20.00 Olwen leaves the nest with her fish. Looks like it was a rainbow trout that LJ2 brought in for Gelert.

• LM6 then flies onto the empty nest and takes the rainbow trout away.

Just after 20.30. Gelert flies down from the nearby tree he was sitting on. He starts fish calling as he’s seen LM6 leave with the fish.

LM6 arrives and Gelert takes the fish.

And just before 21.00 Gelert has had enough and flies off to the right of the nest towards the trees to roost.

Night cam comes on around 21.10 and there’s a part fish left on the nest overnight for the 2nd night in a row!