LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• I got a personal answer too (after posting a question last night on fb messenger)
    "Hello Bart, Sorry for the lack of communication. It does look like we are only seeing IC2 on the nest with no sign of parents. This is not unusual at the end of the season but might be a little premature for both parents to have gone."

I asked a follow-up question:
    "can you confirm his crop seems filled, have you seen any parent in the neighborhood, or how about KL5 who was seen a few days ago, might he have interfered with the presence of the parents?
    We haven't seen Asha since last sunday, did you from your perspective?"

Hopefully they will answer (also asked if this was the right place to ask these questions).. Just blame it on me being a newbie ;-)
  • I know I have only been watching since 2011 but I don't remember asituation where both parents have left before a chick Does anybody else remember? and if so, what happened? IC2 is so young Would his hunting instinctc !kick in soon!?
  • PATILY neither do I.

I still remain of the opinion that he is being fed somewhere by either Axel or ANOther. He is now into his forth day without fish delivery at the nest, so will have had no fluid intake, which should have had an affect on him. But he still looks bright and alert. Looking around, keeping any eye on anything passing. I don't really think I am clutching at straws, but maybe I am.
    Tiger said on chat that two days without food would be enough to persuade him to migrate. Food for thought?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• patily said:
    I know I have only been watching since 2011 but I don't remember asituation where both parents have left before a chick Does anybody else remember? and if so, what happened? IC2 is so young Would his hunting instinctc !kick in soon!?

We're the same "osprey age", PATILY, and my experience re parents migrating is the same as yours.  I have never heard from others about a situation like this.

IMAGICAT

• patily said:
    I know I have only been watching since 2011 but I don't remember asituation where both parents have left before a chick Does anybody else remember? and if so, what happened? IC2 is so young Would his hunting instinctc !kick in soon!?

• Hazel b said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nethy and Deshar were much* older than 1C2.

I did say "nearly 3 weeks" but shouldn't have been so precise.  They were both at normal migration age.

IMAGICAT

• Yes, I agree Scylla. 1C2 is still very young at 68 days given most leave late 80 and early 90 days old.

• 1C2 has only seen see three times today, each time relatively calmly compared with some visits
    06.06-06.15
    08.55-09.05
    09.10-09.11

I don't think I've missed any visits, but I could be wrong.

• Thanks everyone for all the updates.

I remember Roli catching and bringing a fish back to the nest. Can anyone recall how old Roli was or come to think of it, any other juvenile as I think one at the Lowes did?

Just wondering about how early their fishing instinct and ability kicks in