LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Selected highlights from the morning >>> late lunchtime - Asha and 1C2 were on 'n off the nest, not shown.

Little bird for RICHARD or ANO to ID (Chaffie?), then Axel with a bad stick, then Axel with a good fish:

(I now see that the fade transition has wiped out Axel's arr with stick, sorry.)

Asha's fish in slomo:

I think (at a distant glance) that Asha is now eating her own fish, with 1C2 eating his leftover ???

IMAGICAT

• I've just finished going thru, since Trevor reported his IT problems - I am so sorry, Trevor.  It is jus so frustrating for you.  I hope you will be back soon.

Thank you for the super vids, Scylla.

12.19  #1 FISH   1C2 landed in expectation.  Axel was right behind him with a large headless fish.  1C2 grabbed it, and Axel stayed for a minute of too watching,

It's mine, again

Axel potters

12.20  Axel cleaned his beak and flew off, leaving 1C2 having his fill, eating and talking to his fish.

12.23  Axel drags the fish to the far side.

12.24  A pause and half mantle while he watches the sky.  Intruder around??  Axel??

12.25  Feeding resumed.

12.32  Getting frustrated with his fish, having a few words with it!

13.05  Still battling on.

13.34  He pauses as he watches the skies above.

13.42  He lies down as tho there is an intruder above

13.49  He resumed eating.

13.53  Another pause, watching the skies above again.  No call and not mantling.

13.58  Another go at the fish, but keeps stopping, watching above.

14.14  He chirruped and backed away from the fish, cleaned is beak.

In a glitch he chirruped again and was gone.

14.39    #2 FISH  Asha arrived with a headless fish, another decent sized one.

14.42    She waited until Piggy landed, demanding to be fed.  Asha helped herself first.

14.43    Asha started feeding 1C2 in between feeding herself.  How can he possibly have any room!!

14.45     Asha spots an intruder.  She stops feeling, and mantles while keeping an eye on the skies.  She crouches low and mantles.  1C2 calls briefly.

14.49    Asha stands up and looks around, wings ready to mantle.  1C2 lies down.  Asha remains sanding, fish in talons, wings slightly open.

14.52    Danger over.  1C2 calls.  Asha continues eating the fish.  She's not feeding 1C2 at the moment.

15.05     Having been quiet 1C2 calls again, and Asha responds by giving him a few bites, but mainly feeds herself.#                            

15.16 1C2 has turned up the volume wandering around the nest, but Asha continues feeding herself.

He is probably walking over the fish"

15.19    He's found his fish!!  Talks to it and starts to feed himself!!

15.36    Each is tucking into a fish.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    15.19    He's found his fish!!  Talks to it and starts to feed himself!!

He'll be flying off with it next

• LOL, of course he will!

• Asha has been on the nest mantling for some time and following movement up above A while ago a bird flew in on the extreme left and landed in the dead tree. Soon after a second bird flew in a similar direction and chased off the first........presume this is Axel and the intruder. Asha still on nest Wings by her side but still alert and looking around
  • Asha has been on the nest mantling for some time and following movement up above A while ago a bird flew in on the extreme left and landed in the dead tree. Soon after a second bird flew in a similar direction and chased off the first........presume this is Axel and the intruder. Asha still on nest Wings by her side but still alert and looking around
  • Unknown intruder at 16:13 with a double number?

Also AX6 (probably) comes in from the left and drops a stick on Asha.. Not identified, but AX6 and sticks are quite a solid combination..

Slo-mo in the video..

• Blue 235? Ring identified on UK Ospreys - no info given. Clearly a Scottish bird though with the Darvic ring on its left leg

• Thank you for your analysis, Bart. I'm going due-lally tat here trying to run slow mos, and starting again, which takes an age. I can't get a clear idea. But obviously an intruder has been around this afternoon. Both 1C2 and Asha were aware of it. Both the intruder followed by Axel flew over. A loud clonk. Did Axel drop his stick as he flew over.

I agree it looks like 235 from your snip. He's a two year old and landed on the LG nest on 1 May at 12.18 - I expect Scylla did a vid? He was seen off by 'Mistle'. I don't know where he hatched, but he has seen seen at Lossie. Clearly exploring, and not as friendly as KL5!

• Off Bart's video - but I can't believe how different the number looks a second or 2 apart.

Is Blue 235 a feasible number?

I'm in the process of melting away, see ya later!

IMAGICAT