LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Asha brought what appears to be a very tough fish in at 16.18. IC1 is definitely interested and gets a few bites but IC2 gets most, and that's still the case at 17.43. But IC1 looks better than the last couple of days....I think??

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Well, quite an eventful day and it's been well covered.  Thank you.

I think the visit by Intruder KL5(20)m was interesting.  We all think 1C1 is below par, but she did a good job at calling.  But not really mantling when he arrived. 

08.41 he hovered over the nest before landing, and she was very angry at that, but didn't mantle.  KL5 lifted in the wind, and whether by intention or not landed gently on her back, sliding down to the tail to the rim.  At no point did she stand up to defend, but called from her lying down position.  He started doing some housework which was fine, moving both twigs and attempted larger sticks including the upright one in the front which I think holds it all together!!  He was very relaxed, occasionally preening and no threat to 1C1.  She stopped calling.  It was very windy again today, and he had to brace against the gusts.  One reason perhaps 1C1 wasn't too happy about standing up.  When he flew off at at 09.09 gave a half-hearted call.

09.17 an osprey dive-bombed above her, without touching down.  She called, but still remained down.

09.26 danger over she snoozed again.  09.35  She got up suddenly, stretched her wings and looked around with her quizzical side to side movement.  Another stretch of wings.  Looking around.  Closed her eyes.  Used her wings to balance against the wind.  Sorted out an itch, and more eyes closed

09.41 She spread her wings and lifted to the left of the nest.  Looking around.  Another spread of wings and a wee chirrup. 

09.42.40  Woops.  She nearly went over the back right of the nest.  She opened her wings, brought them into her, turned and possibly thought of flying, but changed her mind at the last minute, grabbing on to the rim of the nest, back right, as she went over.  She flapped her wings and lifted up in a helicopter safely above the nest, and out of sight.  She came back down to the nest, landing on the right rim, wings spread out.  A chirrup, possibly of thank goodness, or perhaps that was interesting!  The rim is so fragile, there is no real rim perch to stand on.  That was the most exercise we've seen her done today!  She seems OK, sanding up, looking around, but it is very windy.

09.49 #1 FISH from Axel.  It's a headless whopper.  Axel hung on to it and started to eat, but not feeding 1C1.  She calls, waiting for an offering.  There was no sign f Asha or 1C2.  1C1 tried to take food from Axel's beak, but he ignored her, but she might have got a morsel from him.

10.02 Axel departed with his fish.

1C1 looked to the floor - dropped bits?  She calls pathetically.

10.41 She calls excitedly.... but it is 1C2 who lands on the perch and then joins her on the nest and calls too!

10.48 She lay down, calling.  Then stood up, hunched, looking down.

11.25 Both get up quickly and start to call.  Axel had returned with #1 FISH  1C2 claimed it immediately and had a brutal sharp vicious attack on 1C1.  Axel flew off, and 1C2's attention turned to the fish.  1C1 stood on the near side, cowering initially, but remained with her back to 1C2.  Oh dear.  1C2 needs mum to help.  The skin is tough to get through.  He gets in a paddy as he can't release the fish from his talons.  Success, and get gets dried grass and small twigs caught up with the fish.  He finds the guts are he easiest bits to attack.  By 11.44 he's not making much headway and he tries the tail end.  That doesn't work, so he tried the fin along the body, but has his foot on the flesh head end and just doesn't see the easiest way to get in.

11.51  #2 FISH  Asha arrives with he second fish.  Another whopper.  She spots Axel's fish, which 1C2 continues to tackle.  When she got too close to him he had a go at her had and mantled over the 'his' fish.  Asha seems confused.  She kept looking at #1 fish and ignoring a hungry 1C1 who is now up close to her and calling.  1C1 tried to feed herself from #2 fish, now abandoned by Asha, but really has no success.  1C1 leaves #2 fish and tries to get closer to 1C2 in the hope he might feed her.  He flaps his wings and acts aggressively towards her.  She backs off and returned to #2 fish.  Asha does nothing.  I think it was a whole fish so it was difficult to get into.

12.03 1C1 seems to be having more success, but not as much as she would if mum fed her.  Asha just looks out at the scenery.

12.09 1C1 gives up, leaves the fish and moves over by Asha, possibly in the hope she would feed her.  Meanwhile 1C2 is making good inroads into #1 fish.

12.25 1C1 goes down on her haunches.  Asha cautiously approached 1C2 and #2 fish which she took.  She took  a few bites and then fed 1C2!!!!1C1 called.  1C1 shut her eyes and when Asha offered some fish she didn't see it

12.38 1C1 lowered her head, possibly her beak on thee floor.  She must have dropped off.  She was being moved by the wind, rocking her gently.  She tried to rouse at 12.46, but her head fell again as though he was just sooo tired.  12.54 1C2 flew off having had a good feed.  A few minutes later the ail end of #1 fish disappeared down Asha's gullet and she moved on to 'her' #2 fish.  1C1 started to call, but Asha ignored her and fed herself.

13.03 Asha flew off the #2 fish without feeding 1C1, who was left alone, calling pathetically.  13.13 1C1 had a short wingercise, but nothing vigorous and a jump across th nst.

13.13 Asha returned with #2 fish.  Perhaps she needed a comfort break.  Asha did eventually start to feed 1C1 at last.  But seemed to stop feeding her by 13.19  At least 1C1 had eaten something.  It was difficult to see - 1C1 was standing with her back to us, and in front of Asha, so more might have passed to her.

13.27 Piggy 1C2 returned for seconds.  1C1 had already stopped feeding, but was watching.  I am not sure whether it was in hope or interest.

13.49 Asha was feeding herself again.  1C1 had turned away, standing with her head hanging down again.  1C2 wasn't quite as interested, but doesn't stop completely.

14.16 Asha departed, with a still substantial piece of fish which caught on two sticks which were left hanging precariously over the edge.  1C2 followed her.  14.19 Asha returned - had she dropped the fish?  She was looking around possibly for it.

15.40 Asha flew off - she had the fish remains in her talons!!  1C1 was left snoozing again.  It wasn't until 16.10 she stood up for a bit.

16.18  Asha returned with the fish.  She waited for 1C2 to return.  It wasn't long and she started to feed them.  1C1 in pole position and 1C2 calling loudly!

I must go.  I hope you don't think I am repeating unnecessarily.  I trust you think this helps what has already been posted.  I don't want to upset anyone.  Everyone's contribution is valuable.  

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Fabulous detail thanks Sheila.
  • Thanks Sheila for this elaborate report.. It helps a lot when you've been away all day and the chat is too short..
    She was fed by asha late afternoon again, but now sitting head down on the nest again :.-(
  • I watched her helicopter at 09.42. But to my knowledge, she's not flown since 4 August when she fledged. A fright? Has happened before with other juveniles.
  • All seems quiet on the nest now. When Asha came with fish at 4.27 and they had fed, 1C1 had some, it was shortly after at 4.45 they all started to shout, on checking back that was when the intruder arrived and 4.46 landed on the dead tree, they continued to shout, all 3 until it left at 5.04. Use beguile stressful all that shouting and to have a stranger about and WHERE IS THAT AXEL!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hope scylla is OK. I'm not sure she's posted today??
  • Looking at their fledging ages, IC2 fledge age at 54 days from hatch was at the lower end, and IC1 at 52 days certainly was out of the usual range. I do wonder if she got a fright/injury on that first/only flight to date? Although looking at Bart's video from 4 August, it seemed like she flew to the old camera tree and back (with about 3 hours in between), and both take-off and landings looked text book stuff?

• I can't remember really, but didn't the VC report there was an intruder around when 1C1 fledged? On top of that 1C2 has on occasion bullied her badly, particularly during feeding. She needs a confidence boost. Bless her.
    Yes, Scylla has been missed. She has suggested she hasn't been in tip top form recently, and I'm sure the cooler weather has been a relief. My love and hugs to her, and I hope she will be back soon. We need her vids and snips. My verbals need it too! I could be wrong in my interpretation!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks Sheila. Great summary of events. Appreciate the detail!