LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    off I go to find a snap or two

I was doing a video of 1C1's morning entitled "I do hope 1C1 is OK", but...  Just to say that s/he was alone until 1C2 arrived 05:44, followed by Asha to perch.

Nothing significant, several ons 'n offs on the dead tree, obviously can't ID anyone.

Hope to be back later :)))

IMAGICAT

• I've been going thru things, but I have to go now,  Here is what I've got so far - it might answer Scyll's query.

Saturday 6 July 2022

05.06    1C1 lying asleep.  Possibly Asha on the totem pole.  If it is there is no sign of 1C2

05.43     1C2 landed.  Asha left the totem pole and landed on the nest perch.

1C1 remained crouched on the nest.

05.44     Asha flew towards the totem and landed on it.

05.47     1C2 flew and must have landed out of sight on the trees to the far left.

06.07     Asha flew from the totem pole

06.16     The sound of rain.  1C1 remains alone on the nest.

06.34     Asha landed on the totem pole

06.38     1C2 is off again.

06.44     Query, two pigeons fly around the top of the dead tree, and then away.

07.04     Drizzle has set in.

07.22     1C2 was side of the old nest.  I need some sun to enhance the pic!.

He took off flying low on the left side towards us, and out of sight.

07.36     1C1 is not a happy bunny     - the rain                      

07.52      Asha took off, did a circular flight, back to the top of the dead tree.  1C2 joined her on a lower branch.  1C1 called, but isn't brave enough to join them.

07.53       left the dead tree perch, and flew over the nest, calling.  1C1 dropped to the floor, and watched him as he flew to the stick/totem tree.

07.56      He took off again flies around just above the skyline.  He returns to the nest a minute later. .  1C1 is snoozing

08.34      Both juvies are lying down, getting a bit damp in the drizzle.  Asha is still on the dead tree.

08.51      1C2 get up and calls loudly before taking off to the left.

09.06       1C1 is standing up, watching something flying.  She looks out towards Asha, shakes her feathers and spreads her wings, but doesn't exercise.

09.08       Asha dropped down to the left of the dead tree.  1C1 keeps an eye on her then had a period of preening.

09.37      1C1 heard Asha give an alarm call, and dropped to the floor of the nest.  Intruder about?

Two osprey seen in the sky flying around.  Presumably Asha seeing off the intruder. 

09.38      One flew over the nest, and landed on the dead tree.  1C2 landed, gave a croaked intruder call, and settled his wings.  Were they having fun in the skies rather than after an intruder?

09.43      1C2 has been calling on the nest.  1C1 remains lying down.  Asha is on the dead tree.

09.45      1C2 snuggles down beside his little sis.

10.05      Asha left the total tree and flew to the nest.  Both juvies get up and start to call, along with Asha.

10.45     Asha looked around and took off to our right.  She flew to Odin's perch, just to the right of the satellite dish on the tower.  The juvies call, both are standing up. 

10.49     1C2 flew off over the front of the nest and back round to the rear.  1C1 watched with interest.  Remained standing.

10.58      Asha returned to the nest expecting a fish!

#1 FISH  Axel landed.  Asha grabbed the fish.    As reported by TREVOR

10.59      Axel departed

11.00     There was a pause as Asha makes sure he has gone.  1C2 tries to grab the fish from her, and there is a tussle.

11.01      He gives up and Asha feed him.  1C1 stands looking around rather than queuing for the fish.

11.04       While Asha was feeding 1C2, 1C1 had an excited helicopter. 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    Here is what I've got so far - it might answer Scyll's query.

Fantastic, Sheila Kissing heart

SheilaFE said:
    1C1 had an excited helicopter. 

So pleased to see that - I've been a-worritin' Stuck out tongue winking eye

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I was doing a video of 1C1's morning entitled "I do hope 1C1 is OK",

Some concern on chat that IC1 hasn't eaten today or shown signs of wanting to. IC2 is calling intermittently for fish but IC1 is quiet

• It is worrying, Korky. She is certainly not as feisty as 1C2, but that shouldn't stop her exercising and helicoptering. Perhaps something happened during her maiden flight which frightened or upset her. More worrying is the lack of fish from Axel. I thought y'day that Asha was stepping into the breach, but sadly she hasn't. However she has spent a lot of time with the fledglings, and looking around somewhat anxiously. I hope both parents step up tomorrow.
    The youngsters are snuggled on the nest, and I think Asha is on the dead tree.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Morning all  as i posted 2 days ago i did think 1c1 was not well

Sitting upright she slowly slumps ,lack of intrest in food,

without food today she will go downhill rapidly

Just my observations hope i am wrong

• Can't watch this anymore going for coffee
  • I certainly agree that IC1 doesn't have the vim and vigour that IC2 has, nor the same interest in food. A bit concerning.
  • KL5 has been on the nest for several minutes and hardly any reaction from 1C1. Concerning.
  • Oh dear oh dear oh dear. And I blame Axel