LOCH GARTEN - August 2022 to end of season

July 2022 thread

Our Osprey family

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Asha"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Asha (as "Mistle") fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, Goshawk, Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• He is itching to go, I bet he will fledge tomorrow and have a good fly around? I love the way she makes that snort noise when he is helicoptering or doing something that she is wondering, what's that about.
  • 'Here's looking at you kid'

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

•  You're not the only one having problems, TREVOR, but mine are with YouTube today - all videos reporting "processing is taking longer than expected" today Angry 

trevor l said:
    Fish at 18 57 Good size

Asha brought in lots of sticks in the early afternoon, prompted by 1C2's spectacular efforts, no doubt.  Look out for 1C1's much more modest effort, but she'll get there soon Purple heart

Some days Axel is only bringing in enough to keep body & soul together, and today is one o' them days Frowning2

• That is what I find most worrying about Axel. Fish delivery is so erratic. I sometimes wonder whether Asher gets the occasional fish for herself. She got very little of that last fish, feeding mainly 1C2 initially.
    The fish only lasted nineteen minutes before she was looking for scraps.
    It was raining during the feed and continued for quite a while. Asher went to the perch at 19.21 and then to the dead tree at 19.22. The chicks stood on the nest like adults, but around 21.32 they lay down and snuggled side by side.
    Too late for supper now.

• SheilaFE said:
    That is what I find most worrying about Axel. Fish delivery is so erratic.

That's why poor little 1C1 isn't getting enough to keep up, but she's so philosophical and always holds back to save getting pecked.

And we almost never see Axel except when he's bringing fish, it's been Asha who's brought all the sticks - if only she'd start fishing - I hope the Little Grebe didn't knock her confidence, lol.

Ah well, we're 99% sure it's this couple's first season, and Asha seems to be a faster learner than Axel - maybe next season he'll up his game Thinking 

EDIT

1C2 was in prime position for the tea/supper feed and 1C1 had to watch for a while, but she did stick her head in and get a few bites along the way:

• 02 August

1C2 was active from 04:00 for about 20 minutes, preening and flexing his wings on the front fence.  He's lying down with 1C1 now.

Will I miss his fledge while I'm "away"? 

SYAL Blush

• Fish 7.39 am very big headless

Morning all

• Did 1C2 just barely missed asha pooping?? Scream

• Great gif, BART Smile

Intruder @ 06:00 - here, Asha has returned from chasing it out left but it was back again, flying off here:

trevor l said:
    Fish 7.39 am very big headless

I chose this frame because it shows the fins/shape:

There was lots of helicoptering and wingercising after breakfast,especially by 1C2.

• The top fin just befour the tail is called adipose fin
    only found on trout or salmon family
    Very nice outline Well done Scylla