MANTON BAY - AUGUST 2022 to end of FEBRUARY 2023

Continued from Manton Bay July 2022 

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post 

The season so far:  Maya returned 15 March @ 10:21 & Blue 33(11) on 21 March @ 17:29.  Egg #1 laid 31 March @ c 23:30 & hatched 09 May @ 23:02, Egg #2 laid 03 April @ 18:31 & hatched 10 May @ 12:30 and Egg #3 laid 06 April @ 20:30 & hatched 12 May @ 08:24.  On 20 June the chicks were ringed with their unique blue darvics.  Chick #1 was fitted with 1H1, #2 with 1H2 and #3 with 1H3.  All chicks were females and their biometric data can be found here.  1H1 fledged on 2 July @ 05:34, 1H3 on 3 July @ 12:09 and 1H2 on 4 July @ 09:06. 

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Having popped in to the LotL nest, I popped in here too expecting to see Maya had left, but then I remembered she often leaves later than other females, although usually the first to breed/lay. Thanks for all your reports from this nest Karen.
  • How sad to see this again but it does seem that 1H1 does not want its siblings on the nest or getting any fish - well at least 1H3 as we have not seen 1H2 yet!!

07:59  1H1 has eaten well, finishes and flies off

1H3 pops down from the cam post and takes the fish

1H1 immediately returns

wing flapping and 1H1 quite threatening towards 1H3

and again

1H3 holds on and protects the fish as 1H1 looks upon her

more flapping from 1H1 towards 1H3

1H1 forces 1H3 off the nest with the fish, following her!

• Today's portraits of the chicks & ages:

Blue 1H1(22) is 93 days old

Blue 1H2(22) is 92 days old

post portrait later when/if seen today

Blue 1H3(22) is 90 days old

• Unknown said:
    Having popped in to the LotL nest, I popped in here too expecting to see Maya had left, but then I remembered she often leaves later than other females, although usually the first to breed/lay. Thanks for all your reports from this nest Karen.

You're welcome Korky and yes you're right Maya, up to now, has always stayed until all the chicks have left.   She remains with 33 for a while then she is off and 33 soon follows.      

One thing I have noticed is that Maya, unlike the other females, doesn't go fishing leaving it all to 33.   

• 09:56  1H1 back on the nest and fish calling

09:58  Fish - third one this morning from 33 delivered to 1H1!!

33 flies off and 1H1 protects her fish

and then 1H1 flies off too with the fish

• LAM , hopefully you are OK and around!

Interested to hear your views on this!!  I suspected 1H1 chased 1H3 off the nest yesterday when she appeared for some fish and I saw the same this morning.

Here is the video of the incident this morning of 1H1, who had eaten and finished, immediately returning the nest once 1H3 had landed for a share of the fish.   

1H1 seems to be getting all the fish deliveries now - is she staying close by and whilst thankfully not too aggressive could it be that she is becoming possessive of the nest as imo she chased off 1H3.   

Considering we both closely followed 095 and 096 last year, interested to hear what you think :-)

• Oh KAREN How disapointing that thia should happen again Perhaps !H1's sisters need to land , grab the fish and fly
    Was there any evidence of 33 delivering any fish other than to the nest last year?
  • Hi Patily, Fortunately 1H3 when she landed grabbed the fish before 1H1 returned and held onto it. Just a shame she was not able to eat on the nest and forced to fly off with the fish, Just hope she managed to hold on to it and ate on a nearby perch.

I've no idea if 33 is delivering fish to Maya or the other youngsters nearby (no sighting of 1H2 since Monday) all these reports came from LAM and as we know, they are in Wales just now which is lovely for them seeing Mrs G and Aran.
  • Hi Karen yes there appears to be dominant behaviour from 1H1 but don't think it's as bad as what we saw last year - but say that from limited observations in the last six days. Frustrating that can't comment on 1H2 either although may be able to do so in about a week. Think its too early for a migration yet - had earliest about 18th if that is 42 days post fledge so hope to be there. Much earlier and could be just a local foray - if it has gone suspect it's too early.
    As you point out 33 does feed to perches so that aspect is not too worrying.
  • Will try to monitor this nest more closely and hopefully we'll get there before they go to see what is happening off nest! Based on last year 33 will feed on perches so if 1H3 and 1H2 are here they will get food. Also there is the beach as the water is so low and Maya will watch over whilst eating on the ground if necessary.