Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 July 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a joyful, serene week and a wonderful August! Summer is going fast.

I saw a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird outside the window of my enclosed porch this morning. I felt blessed because the hummingbirds will be leaving soon. They don't stay deep into autumn; they're usually long gone on their migration journey by the time the chill sets in here 

• Hi Lindybird, that steak meal does sound yummy - was it with fresh peas. I go mad for them at this time of year and get 2 packs each week whilst in season - not only good cooked but delicious raw..

Harelady - glad to hear that your daughter and the girls were able to visit you.

Diane - how lovely to see a humming bird - I always marvel at their colouration.
  • ANNETTE – Sympathy on the loss of your sister. Don’t fret too much you were not there; you were with her when you were needed. I’m sure the family appreciate & understand. Sending prayers & hugs.
  • Annette - So sorry to hear of your sister's death. But glad she is now out of pain. Also glad she was able to be with the family in familiar surroundings for her last few days. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all the family at this sad time.

Heather - Chartwell was Churchill's 'country' home. They have kept it pretty much as it was when he lived there, with lots of memorabilia, together with his pictures and furniture. It feels a very homely family house. The highlight for me - and I think many others - is his studio in the grounds, where the walls are covered with his paintings. It was definitely a place where he could relax and hopefully forget the problems of being Prime Minister at such a difficult time. He painted a lot, and also enjoyed brick-laying - there is a long wall which he built at least a part of (what a badly constructed sentence!!) and the gardens, particularly the kitchen garden, are lovely. Two lakes, one of which was the family swimming pool. It's a fascinating place, and only half an hour from where I live, so I go quite often and always discover something new. It's good to see it in different seasons - last time I went the roses were at their very best, and quite spectacular. Lovely views across The Weald.
  • Annette So very sorry to hear your Sister has died. Im sure your visit meant so much to her and all the family.

Rest up, take care of yourself and remember the good times.

• So very sorry, Annette. As has been said, it's some comfort that she had her family around her. I hope they all find peace now. My condolences to you all.

Lynette, we ate our own green beans with the steak, as we'd finished the fresh peas with our Friday night fish! I hope you can enjoy your outings

Didn't have time to write yesterday, so just posted a few pics. We enjoyed a walk on a big beach in the morning, and then had a very small lunch indeed before heading off to the garden centre for our promised Afternoon Tea. We had one there, once before, and regretted it: its a strange time of day to binge on sweet cakes! But I had been given a voucher as a present, so off we went. It was certainly yummy.
  • The tray when it arrived, minus one sandwich & a slice of quiche, as we started on it before I remembered to take a pic of it!

Bottom layer: tiny sausage rolls, slice of quiche, various sandwiches. Middle layer, home made scones with cream & jam. Top layer: Variety of cakes plus shortbread bics.

• Close up of the cakes -- the meringues had strawberries concealed in the middle, and its all home made on the premises, with gorgeous fresh scenes. We ate as much as we could, then got a cake box to take home some sandwiches, the fruitcake and the shortbreads .

Felt odd for the rest of the day, as seriously out of routine with mealtimes. Late evening, my OH ate some fruitcake!

• Lindy - All looks delicious. I particularly like the sound of the fresh scenes!!
  • ANNETTE - sorry to read the sad news - always a shock even when expected - but as you say, relief for the famiy - and release for her. Thoughts and prayers.