Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 3 July 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a healthy, safe, and joyful week!

I had a pack of coyotes on my patch today--very close to the house. I think they appeared because a mother raccoon was relocating her babies from one nest to a new one. They have reached "fledgling" age (to use a bird term). The sow raccoon birthed her babies late this year. Normally, the young would be older by this time.

All of the wildlife are in a quandary because it's the July 4th holiday weekend, and everyone is shooting off fireworks. 

Take care, all.

• I lurked briefly yesterday, too tired to post. Previous night very little sleep, not sure what I did all morning until I drove OH to GP clinic for his shingles jab. Car park full, long walk from nearest space in street. At least Nurse was quick (OH fancied her!) and then 10 min to wait in waiting room. After 6 mins, OH says “Come on, let’s go”. I followed as 10 mins would be up before we reached car. Home for lunch & nanny nap. I spent quite a while culling a box of ”Miscellaneous” papers. Two inch pile for recycling, rest mostly family history for another day. Then I emptied rubbish bins and it was only when I reached the newspapers that I remembered that this week is green bin (garden) not recycling (paper, cardboard, cans, glass, hard plastic). So my 2 inches of good deed are waiting until next Friday. By teatime I was very tired, ate tea, slept through Kate Humble walking the Sussex coast (darn, I wanted to see that, must remember to watch “on  demand”). I woke to see some of cycling, slept, woke to see last few minutes wondering what happened to those in the breakaway. Oh well, another race tonight, maybe I’ll stay awake.

OH slept ALL afternoon and when I asked how was his jab, he wasn’t sure which arm. . . OK, no reaction. He must be getting acclimatized to jabs LOL.

I meant to answer your  posts but got carried away grumbling - sorry.

• @ AQ Bless you,, our Bin days are always confusing, especially after Bank holidays etc, and our Garden waste seems to be Monthly, as mine is mostly grass and a FULL bin, am using the disintegrating bin liners, which at least stops the smell, and keeps bin clean.

Felt for the Cyclists on those several Cobbled sections , with those very light weight bikes, and them inhaling so much dust.

Pleased ,OH no reaction..

Hope everyone else will stay safe during our UK ,anticipated HOT spell.

Take care all

• Hello all -
    ANNETTE - sending best thoughts to you. It's good that your sister is coming home, but from what you say the family had adjusted to the idea of her being in a hospice near home, which in a way, may have been better. Of course it's difficult for you, you have things to do and think about at your place. Sending hugs ...
    LYNETTE- sorry to read that you have been hospitalized once again. I imagine that you can't wait to get answers , get the catheterization done, etc. It's a worry for you and the family.
    ROSY- I like to think that I could downsize easily - but then I look around at all the stuff here - kitchenware, linens, china, glassware, books and ornaments....plus furniture. And clothes !!
    LINDY - I'm sure you've had/ having a good time with Amber. Enjoy them while they are young !
    AQ - I got tired just reading about your busy day - let's hope that the young ones learn soon, or whenever practical, how to do housework and simple cooking. I was taught at an early age and did the same with my four. I'm not sure that they liked it but it paid off in the end. Although I can't forget Sam bringing me ' breakfast in bed ' when Bella was born. He was 9 and he burned the toast ! I wasn't expecting breakfast but he thought that he would like to do it, bless him.
    My brother should be home this weekend. He continues to be grumpy and frustrated and we still don't have lab results. I assume that the small hospital in Pontivy had to send the samples away.
    We've had a couple of birthday parties here. Isla is 13 and Amy is 21. Busy times !
    Regards to ALL. I hope that OG is feeling less tired and that J s scan went OK.
    Nice to hear from CLARE !
  • I am so confused - with myself! So much silly stuff going on and then the national situation - not to mention the world and its woes!

I had intended to try to catch up last week during this week, but no hope! When OH is rushing round like a headless chicken it is difficult to get moved into the study, and I am spending too much time in the lounge reading cheap rubbish books.

One thing I must catch up: a big thank you to AQ for the update on City of Adelaide (aka Carrick) and that amaizing model of her - I think the model would be worth a trip on its own!

There has been some positive stuff. On J's birthday, we did have one of his favourite dinners at home because we couldn't go out. On the rearranged day out, he had a very bad headache; we did need stuff from garden centre and deli, so the two of us left him in bed, telling him there were eggs and cheese available for lunch and we went without him. We enjoyed salad lunches, filled the car with decorative bark and various meats and breads and avoided the temptation of various lovely plants. When we got home, J was just finishing a shower, feeling okay and had totally missed lunch.

This week we have someone here painting our fences - husband of one of the cleaning ladies. He is also going to re-grout and re-seal our seeping shower next week - a very quiet man, local, but seems to know what he is doing. All professional tilers are booked up till variously February and May next year!

Gardener has disappered - billed us for June aboiut three weeks ago and haven't heard from her again. Can't really do much in the garden while fences are being done. Anyway, we are now enjoying amazingly good home-grown carrots as well as salads etc.

J's optician wants to see him again this month to see if there is any change, but he also has an appointment at ophthalmology soon, and blood tests for seeing the new endocrinologist.. I have a telephone consultation with rheumatologist next week.

Sorry to see so many of us are creaking and groaning - getting older is no fun!
  • Pat O said:
    Hard to believe we are more than half-way through the year and I can't find enough 'free' time for a holiday

Just book the holiday and force everything else to fit around it.  No ifs, no buts.  The right people around you will understand - the wrong people can be dropped, sharpish.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I am sorry I have not replied to all the very newsy posts. I suddenly seemed to get very busy. To cap it all I got called to A&E this morning because a friend of mine had been in a car accident the night before. I sat with her and accompanied her to X-ray and orthopaedics. All involved in the various departments were lovely. My friend has a badly broken arm and is home now. Sadly, her car is a write off. You just never know when you go out to a concert what might happen do you?
    I am thinking of those of you who have health issues or other problems.
  • Clare - You are of course - as usual! - quite right. The problem is I forgot to 'book' time away and now am committed to things I can't easily get out of until the end of November. So totally my own fault. I could probably manage about ten days - but as it takes me three days to drive to Mull and three days to get home again, it doesn't leave a lot of time! Maybe I'll go up entirely out of season early next year - I've done that before and it can be very lovely. It can also be very wet and extremely windy - but I don't really mind about that. Although possibly better to try for April/May. Why is life so complicated?!?!?
  • Too tired to write replies to all the long posts -- we are home again after a good journey back. Our Eldest & wife had a truly wonderful day out at Wimbledon, with champagne, a beautiful meal and later on, afternoon tea, too!! It was the day of the ladies semi final matches, and they enjoyed Centre Court seats which was a huge thrill.

Up early tomorrow and off to visit Youngest & family for celebration of Rosie's 3rd birthday.
  • I am busy again today!!! Shortly I am setting off to help some friends who are opening their garden today under the Open Gardens Scheme. I believe I am meeting and greeting and collecting tickets!!!
    On the way home I will call to see my friend who was in the accident. By now she will have discovered the things she is unable to do with one arm and I may be able to help.

• Goodness me, it’s quiet here today! 11 hours later and it’s me again. I enjoyed my meet and greet session at my friend’s garden. I then went and visited the other 5 which were open in the village. They were all very different but were all very nice. People must spend a lot longer doing their gardens than I do and also they obviously understand plants and where they should grow. The photo is of my friends garden which is on a steep slope.

I visited my friend who had been in the accident. She seems to be coping and has got lots of offers of help.