LLYN BRENIG - July 2022

link to JUNE 2022

1st fish of July 2022 arrived at 07.34. Not too shabby an effort! Headless trout delivered by LJ2 whilst LM6 was off the nest. She soon followed on to collect the fish.

It looks like it was a nice calm morning.

LM6 and the chicks got a couple of feeds off this fish before LJ2 took it away. He returned with what was left at around 10.40.

LJ2 started eating it on the nest. Chick #2 came to see if it could get any and LJ2 gently fed it a few pieces before finishing it off.

• Glider said:
    Is it right now? I’m still learning as I go along!

Is fine now, I know where I am! Lol

• WendyBartter said:
    Glider said:
    Is it right now? I’m still learning as I go along!

Is fine now, I know where I am! Lol

———————————————-

Hahaha!! Thumbsup

• Saturday 02.07.22

Good soggy morning and what a miserable night it’s been weather wise. Thankfully LJ2 brought a wee breakfish to the nest at 06.01.

Very tricky to get a clear view of the fish as it was small and blocked by the ospreys’ bodies.

I think it may be a perch. Tried the magnifier tool on the next photo but clarity isn’t there.

Anyway, LM6 was pleased to take it and feed it to the chicks.

You get a view of the tail end here with the magnifier on it.

The feed lasted under 10 minutes which shows how small the fish was.

Towards the end of the feed chick #1 suddenly stood up in an aggressive position and turned on chick #2. I think chick #2 had been getting more of the feed.

Chick #1 pecked at #2, chasing it towards the top of the nest where #2 bowed into a submissive position. This is the first time I’ve seen this happen at a feed although they’ve had the odd squabble whilst mum’s been off the nest.

It didn’t last long and LM6 was soon back on top of the chicks keeping them warm.

• Around 08.15 LM6 and chick with a lovely headshot. The chick looks so much like mum now.

The 3 birds on the nest are having a good old preen in the sunshine that has thankfully appeared. 

Does LM6 spot something in the water heading towards the nest? She carries on preening. I initially thought it was a shoal of brave fish on the surface underneath an osprey’s nest!!!  I could then see it was a small flock of birds.

• LM6 multitasking as the chicks rest, although not sleeping LM6 moving sticks into better positions whilst clutching what looks like a nearly whole fish
  • Yes Patily, LM6 is a busy girl! She also brought in the upright stick (tv aerial!) earlier at 10.29  which LJ2 brushed against whilst delivering the large trout at 10.39.

The stick pings into place.

LJ2 with the fish Patily mentioned.

• Chick #2 was there first for the feed.  Chick #1 initially came over then withdrew to the other side of the nest. When LM6 changed position, chick #1 was able to feed from the other side.

• LJ2 had taken the remainder of the fish away after his family was fed. At 12.30 he returned with the tail end. LM6 asked for it but he wouldn’t pass it over. He retreated to the edge of the nest and started eating. One of the chicks came over but wasn’t offered anything. The other chick then tried and LJ2 started feeding it. I’m not sure but I think this was chick #2 as it is the one who’s been most persistent when asking for food from dad and got it in the past. Might be “Daddy’s little girl!”

You can just make out the chick receiving fish as LM6 watches on.

• 17.50 and LJ2 brings in another fish. He had a bit of trouble landing on the nest initially as his long wing hit the new vertical stick that LM6 added to the nest earlier. He missed his landing then had to circle and try again, successfully this time. 1st attempt at landing 

and 2nd successful one.

• A funny thing happened with that last delivery. I think it was a lively perch and when LM6 bent down to grab it with her beak, LJ2 let go but LM6 hadn’t connected with it and so it wriggled free.

As LM6 and LJ2 looked for the fish (a wee perch I think) Chick #1 must’ve felt a tickle under its feet as it looked down to see the wee fish.

I’ve magnified the fish to see it more clearly below

Chick #1 then tried to pick up the fish with its beak when LM6 then noticed it had it.

LM6 then collected their meal from an unlikely source!