LLYN CLYWEDOG - July to End of 2022 Season

Information courtesy of John Williams:

5F Seren hatched at nest K, Rutland, from parents Red 08 (m) and Yellow 30 (f).  Chris Wood, who volunteers at the Rutland osprey project, has been following her for at least 7 years to Tanji Marsh in the Gambia.  She has been at this nest with Dylan since 2020, after suffering abandonment by bigamist Aran at Pont Croesor.

Dylan is unringed, he's been breeding at this nest since 2016, when he ousted dear Dai Dot.

CarnyxWild Wales YouTube Channel

The Clywedog Osprey Group (Facebook)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The chicks have been ringed this morning - early on, just the one showed us a ring - 553.

It didn't take long for a parent to return:

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    8.37 this morning ENS.

Sorry I didn't get this done in time for your visit, AG :)  I've spent h-o-u-r-s on it, nearly as long as I spent on one yesterday, nulling the vibrating buzz and clarifying the voices and syncing them - which took half a dozen tries at least - only to find that the out-of-sync had shifted later in the clip so I ditched the whole thing... Tired face ... but this morning the sync doesn't matter so much (apart from the Kerplunk, which is late) so I've only done the buzz and voices.

I know it's childish to have to tell you all that, but I know it looks as tho I don't bother with this lovely nest, but I have such difficulty keeping current with it, just for one thing!

Anyway, this was the arrival and departure of the juvies and Seren this morning.  I need to check further that we haven't seen Dylan - who knows where he's delivering fishes?

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I need to check further that we haven't seen Dylan

A bit after 06:00 he brought half a breakfish, which 554 grabbed, he had a potter and flew.

554 getting ready to leave after unknown minutes on perch:

He was back again, flying off @ 09:44 (ish).

IMAGICAT

• I shut down the laptop to give it a rest from the heat - booted up just in time for a headful whopper from Dylan:

IMAGICAT

• It was a busy mid-afternoon on the nest:

It's continued busy, with one juvie escaping competition on the nest and bringing its fish to the high perch, managing to eat some, and gratefully taking it back down to the nest when the danger juvie shifted to the low perch.

Presently Seren, after spending several patient periods waiting to be allowed to feed her kids, is doing just that.  (That may no be grammatical, but you know what I mean.)

IMAGICAT

• 554 is setting out to prove that 551 (2020) was not the only member of the family with a VERY LOUD VOICE.
  • 554 flew up to the perch just before 21.00 and has been eyeballing the camera! Still there at 21.28 as I write.

555 now behind 554

Beautiful birds.

• That's quite some fish Dylan brings !! Thank you fo the fishes and tussles video Scylla

and love the portraits Glider, thank you
  • Thanks Cirrus, it really is a beautiful nest to watch, 2 fantastic parents, 3 beautiful fledged chicks and 2 cameras to spot all of the action from different views.

I like how the camera has shifted a little this year from last so we can see some of the water too.

This is the view on nest 1 just now, 5F mantling and chipping. (11.57)

•  12.51 a lovely Jay on the nest there getting titbits.

• Glider said:
    12.51 a lovely Jay on the nest there getting titbits.

It was the Jay who alerted me that my internal network had switched off again when I went to do a video of it.  I'm waiting till nighttime to shut everything down and reboot Tired face 

Also, I'd promised myself that today would be the day to do a compilation of "juvies on the high perch", I've got multi-gigabytes of history saved up overflowing the hard drive.

Three juvies and three fish on the nest at the mo... and Seren just landed on the high perch.  I expect she wants to feed someone.

IMAGICAT