LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• Hello!  What a scorcher at LG today too.

I have done a blow by blow account, but I see it has been superseded by reports and pics so I won't bore you.  

I have to say to two 'barnies' these two have had today (10.59 and 11.51 have been totally unprovoked as far as I can tell, and quite vicious, particularly the latter.  1C2 started it, but came off very badly.  She cowered/submitted at the back of the nest very subservient for quite a while.

Two fish, neither was very substantial (#1 gone in eight minutes and much the same for #2.  They need fish to keep up their fluid intake.

Trevor was quite right about the front of the nest.  Asha didn't help when she tried to move the large 'Y' shaped stick which was sticking up.  That eventually slipped away, and when the chicks had their second barney that finished it off, scattering lose sticks left right and centre - and over the edge.  Is Asha trying to bridge the gap, but forgetting why she has brought the large sticks in for!

One possible intruder, 14.08, and the chicks went as flat as pancakes immediately.  It came to nothing.

Lots of lovely noises coming from the chicks today.

Possible fish on the way

16.23  #3 FISH  Not sure how big, but headless, and possibly the largest of the day

Oh and I forgot to mention another 'hedgehog' delivery today, with even longer grass than last time

and in position

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Asha with a bundle of strawy stuff - someone found what it might be but I've forgotten:

Unknown said:
    16.23 Axel brings a small fish

I did it so I'll post it - but I can't make it look any bigger.  The big fish must have retreated to cooler depths today:

EDIT - I'm packing up for a while.

IMAGICAT

• 15.39  She did bring in a slightly larger stick

• scylla said:

Sorry (((Korky))) I've got to quote this - just in case you notice and correct it

Korky said:
    (c) RSPB Loch Lomond

No flies on you scylla, as my old mother used to say., Duly corrected thank you.

• Asha has been moving Hedgehog v2 around.  Hilarious

Still on the move

Is this it?  She's made it a hedge!

• Oh my the poor birdies today, it must have been hot for them. That was some spat at 11.51 today, she started it with a peck at him, and he got further pecked at and went to the back of the nest for a while, she stood with a beakful of his feathers! Hot tomorrow again, hope they behave themselves. Wing exercising is coming along nicely.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• SheilaFE said:
    Asha has been moving Hedgehog v2 around.  Hilarious

I tried to do a video but am seizing up again so it didn't work out.  I put a little bit of the juvie getting disencumbered on the front of the HEADLESS WHOPPER delivery:

As you can see, Asha's crop is empty - but shortly after this snap she finished off the fish:

19 July

A stretch and they went back to sleep:

IMAGICAT

• Ohhh nnnooo Tired face

But yes Frowning2

IMAGICAT

• Looks like another direct hit

Richard B