LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• Glorious early morning photos Scylla thanks.
  • Thank you Jill, for the heads up about that unfortunately Little Grebe, and Scylla for covering it in detail in the vid.  I did some captures, and although surplus to requirements now, I will post them out of cussidness! - Is that a word, what is the spelling??!!

It was a lovely morning

10.59  for some reason the body caught Asha's eye.  Possibly all the horrible flies around (and on the cam) were becoming very obvious)

She steps back before approaching again

11.00 she drags the body nearer the edge

With the body held in her beak, she flies away

The flies almost immediately dissipated, thank goodness.

13.30  No sign of Axel and a fish.  I quick scroll thru suggests there hasn't been a delivery so far.  Axel is having yet another lie in.

My friends will be arriving soon, so I won't be around much until later on Sunday.  Sorry.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thanks Sheila, glad the wee soul has been laid to rest. Probably just fledged itself. Broken heart

• @Sheila. Cussedness. That's my take, and I do believe it is a word, or at least one I have used but sparingly. Thank you for the account of how the body left the nest. It was a disagreeable event to begin with. At least eagles would have simply consumed the thing before anything rotted... but this event had super ICK attached to it...

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Two hungry and noisy chicks roaming around the nest, with mum on the perch

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Unknown said:
    Cussedness. That's my take, and I do believe it is a word, or at least one I have used but sparingly.

We agree on the spelling and its dictionary-worthiness, but I have probably used it more than you have.  It would have been nice if you hadn't vouched for it tho, I was going to pretend that the right word was "cussedocity" Tired face

It goes without saying that we'll miss you, SHEILA - I do wish you had different priorities Heart

IMAGICAT

• Axel, jury's in - you don't deserve this family and you'd better grow up this winter cos if you don't I'll sent a bounty hunter after you with £40,000 on your head
  • 15:08 - first fish of the day - I hope Asha's gone fishing, she's nowhere to be seen up to now - I'll check when she left.

IMAGICAT

• The late breakfish delivery - received by the juvies with grown-up screeches they've learnt from Asha ;)

scylla said:
    I'll check when she left.

14:22:

I'm off duty for a while.

IMAGICAT

• 1C1 patiently waiting (1C2 is hidden behind her with fish) - she did get a turn soon:

Asha is still not back!

IMAGICAT