LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• FYI; Dyfi Osprey Project facebook page has an announcement and short video of their newest camera, which has a windscreen wiper! I kid you not! They have one! I presume it is enclosed in a box with a flat glass front, with an external wiper.

Smiles, Jan.

• KORKY - How thrilling that you were at LG "today" (but I'm late). 

SHEILA - I don't thnk this works every time in all circs, but it worked for me the other day - in the RF box:

I didn't find any more fish.

IMAGICAT

• Wattle15 said:
    Dyfi Osprey Project facebook page has an announcement and short video of their newest camera, which has a windscreen wiper!

I read about that last year on an American website.  Trust Dyfi to get one - no expense spared where cams are concerned! Smile

IMAGICAT

• In reply to SheilaFE

who is Sasha and if LG has named the chicks what is the other one called please ?
  • Unknown said:
    In reply to SheilaFE

who is Sasha and if LG has named the chicks what is the other one called please ?

During her amazing, comprehensive summaries, Sheila has had a couple of misrememberings of Asha's name, probably due to the embedding of Mistle in our psyches - we've all been too polite to mention it.

I must say, it's quite a coincidence that you've queried it this morning, Cirrus, because I've been going thru the footage with a mental running commentary "I don't like it, I don't like it, I don't like it!"  I think Sasha would have been better, sonically, but no better or worse as Mistle's new name Neutral face 

No, the chicks have not been named - I believe it is because Fergus and the team are punishing us for the outcry over naming Mistle.

~~~~~~~~~

26 July up to 09:00

No fish !!!  (No Axel whatsoever.)

Some of Asha's sticks and a clump:

TWO sticks!

07:15 approx

Semaphore Smile

Asha thought that there was going to be a fish but she petered out Frowning2 

IMAGICAT

• OMG! Asha has brought in a live bird to the nest, a little grebe is my best guess (11:08). Never seen that before and you do have to feel sorry for it, it's going down the same way as the fish.

EDIT: 11:39 Looks like they don't know what to do with it, I think they are giving up on eating it.

• Hoppy Hank said:
    OMG! Asha has brought in a live bird to the nest, a little grebe is my best guess

I've just broken off from the video to see if anyone here had any idea - I could only have called it some kind of duck, lol.  Well, well, well, Asha's first fishing trip turned out to be momentous Duck

IMAGICAT

• It was a Little Grebe - no doubt caught in error I imagine - maybe it was under the surface as she dived for a fish

Valerie

• I do hope it was caught in error Valerie, that sounds feasible that it may have been diving at the time. This has been quite a year with these 2 ospreys, they have their own way of doing things!