LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• I missed your summary, SHEILA!

SheilaFE said:
    I don't know whether I've said this before, but I wonder whether this lovely weather Scotland is experiencing is having an impact on the fish.  Are they going lower to cool down, making it more difficult for Axel to deliver.

I did mention this, or something like it, a few days ago - saying that the big fish were deeper for cooler waters, only the littluns available.  I'd like to know if it really is windier this season or just sounds like it.

Thank you for the weather forecast, CATLADY :)))

IMAGICAT

• CAM DOWN 23:10, still in a buffer.

EDIT - Cam came back up half an hour or so later.  Apparently the Goshawk cam was down at the same time.

IMAGICAT

• Everyone looks a bit wet this morning, but Asha didn't get the dish cloth out. It doesn't look any clearer to me.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Well that rain never made much impact on the lens, did it? Only the poor birds look like they have had a good drenching. Oh dear, it is a pain, not being able to see properly. Well done to our posters who are giving us a little insight into what is going on Clap

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Nothing much has happened today.  No fish, again.

09.06   Having spent until now on the perch, Asha lifted off and flew to the dead tree.  The chicks are vocal. 

09.08  1C2 (I think - I thought I'd sussed them out before the latest poo hit, but I'm not so sure now!) flaps on the rim, and wobbles as Asha returns.

09.11   Asha stands  nearer the cam, then flies to the perch

09.20   She drops to the nest again and starts calling.  The chicks join in.

09.25   Axel may well have flown out of sight, to the right of the screen – she is calling to that direction now.  It's telling him to go fishing, rather than 'bring the fish here, dear'.

09.53   The cloud has dropped.  It is dreich and mizzly rather than pouring.  A typical dreich Scottish day!  She is still calling, no sign of Axel or a fish.

10.16   Rain is a bit heavier now.  Asha is looking bedraggled with hunched shoulders, staring down to the forest floor.  Everyone is quiet.  Axel makes no attempt to shelter them as EJ might have done!

10.58   Checking around her  Clouds looking a bit brighter, and it's probably stopped raining

11.00   Asha and the chicks start calling again/  Asha flies up to the perch, shakes her feathers and wags her tail

11.01   Asha takes flight. 

11.03.39    She returned from the left up to the perch with an intruder chip, but it didn't continue.  She remained on look-out from the perch, with a bit of preening too.

11.45   It's got quite gusty.  Until now and since the

11.44   Asha lifted off, and returned to the perch almost immediately

11.54   It's been quiet with he chicks lying down.  They have now become both vocal and energetic.

11.55   Asha lifted off again, and dropped back to the perch. Meanwhile the chicks are flappig well

One chick had a poo on our side of the nest, and despite the wind it missed the cam!  The other chick had another go on the right back side, so that was safe!

While this was going on Asha lifted off and returned again within seconds.

11.57   Flapping

12.11   The hills in the distance are now more evident - I had to wait for Asha to lift her head before I snipped!

The wind dropped briefly, Asha wasn't calling and the chicks were quiet.  The wind continues to gust but more intermittently.

I do wish that blob in the centre of the screen would clear a bit!                      

• Well that was a bit unexpected
    13.20 Asha flew off to the left of the nest
    13.22 Asha landed, followed by Axel, who didn't bring in a fish.  He landed looked around and left.
    13.23 She yelled at him!

We haven't seen him drop in for a social visit for ages. I wonder if he has seen an intruder. Neither he nor Asha intruder called.

13.30  The chicks are hungry, and are calling.  Asha is standing on the left side of the nest.  

13.39  Asha is becoming very vocal.

• 14.04 Asha has flown.

14.07 and returned with a stick that she puts on top of the left rim, and moves another stick up against it.  I think she's happy.

14.10 and off again down to the right of the dead tree.

14.13 she returned with a contact chip.  We have some blue sky among the clouds now!

• Thanks for all contributions.  As you  may have seen, I misguidedly wasted time on a frippery (Ospreys at the World Athletics Championships) and ended up...

,,,unable to play any of my own videos on these forums AstonishedAstonishedAstonished

This morning - one sib wondered by the other was making such a funny face:

This afternoon - Axel's fishless on/off:

I've done up to 14:07.

I'm taking a break.

IMAGICAT

• Hi everyone i can see the nest again