LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• patily said:
    Hi everyone

What a relief and a joy to see you back, PATILY - I hope your rehab goes well and you can get home PDQ. 

Sorry that we can't greet you with a lovely LG nest to watch, we're hoping for rain, lots of it, to clean off the baked-on whitewash.

IMAGICAT

• Wattle15 said:
    @Scylla; Are you sure your last 2 frames are Axel LEAVING the nest? He clearly has a fish in his talons, so either he was coming TO the nest, or he took his fish away again. Could there have been some of last night's fish left, I wonder?

I know what you mean, WATTLE - Axel was definitely leaving - I examined it very closely and decided, rightly or wrongly, that the "fish" was actually one of our birds at the base (ish) of the perch.

When I massively "enhance" these snaps it brings out all sorts of shadows 'n shapes 'n pixels.

Teatime fish arrived during 3 minutes between 17:08 and 17:11 while one session was being processed before the next could start, so I recorded this off rewind - I don't know why the timeline hasn't come out.  The screeching makes it sound as tho Axel took the fish away but then you can hear the eating tweets - it wouldn't be surprising if they lost the fish for a while:

Don't know what to make of the fish 

I thought that the 19:08 fish must be a stick, cos no-one ate!... but then I heard the cheeping:

Final fish:

Cannot do a single nuther thing, g'night.

IMAGICAT

• Pat, you have an email lurking in your system.
    Glad to see you back. There was much concern!
  • Welcome back Patily, I hope your rehab goes well.
  • Sandra P said:

Karen W said:

Just wondering, how old are the chicks now?

Hi Karen, 1C2 - 42 days old, 1C1 - 40 days old (I think!)

thanks Sandra 

• patily said:
    Hi everyone I have been in hospita; the last 2 weeks with no internet connection Am now in rehqb and goy online today Have a lotof catching up to do

Hello Patily, good to see you back with us again, hope all goes well with your recovery. Your can spend your recovery time catching up on here, that will take you a long time! Lots been happening, enjoy the read. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• The camera lens seems a bit clearer this morning. No fish reported on chat, form the bit I can read
  • I typed this after midnight last night but because I'd had an RF open elsewhere for many hours and edited this into it, it came out as 3.15PM per the forum system, so I've deleted that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It tipped down in Perthshire, their lens was generously spattered with rain.

"Lincolnshire will be battered by rain, as well as over the West Country, south Wales and in the northern half of Scotland."

Where is it?!  Our cam is crying out for it Tired face 

The LG cam went down @ about 00:05.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case anyone's been misinformed - Chat reported anothr PS on the cam this morning but it was erroneous, they didn't realise how the appearnance changed with general light and sun direction.

I don't know when the cam came back on but I didn't switch back on until I woke up very late after a rotten night's sleep.  I had some goes at rollback but... I'm hoping SHEILA will rescue us.

Asha gave us a lovely shot against the sky (the apparent bird by her left wing is an artefact):

This time she came in from the left, thru a patch of mist:

This bird flew by just after she landed, she didn't chase it but she did semi-mantle:

It was all happening around this time Smile

It's so unjust :(((

An insect crossed the lens (not shown) and see what a difference it made when it was in the right place for a nano-second in the second pic:

Asha returning from a trip - I think she went for a dip because she spent ages preening on the perch:

Another stick from Asha - they've all been small:

I haven't found a fish but the early morning is missing for me.

IMAGICAT

• SHEILA is probably hosting a very posh garden party - our loss Stuck out tongue winking eye

IMAGICAT

• can't see much with this cam

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here