LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• Thanks for all the excellent coverage here.

Just wondering, how old are the chicks now?
  • Hi everyone I have been in hospita; the last 2 weeks with no internet connection Am now in rehqb and goy online today Have a lotof catching up to do
  • Oh Patily how good it is to see you - welcome back as we have missed you.

Sorry you have been in hospital and hope you are on the mend and feeling ok.

Talk later - enjoy catching up, lots going on :-)
  • Thanks KAREN I take Asha is the new name for Dorchas
  • Yes Patily, Asha won the vote. Mistle was never included much to the upset of many but it is what it is :-)
  • Welcome back, Patily, you have been missed very much!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Enjoy catching up with all the posts - it may take a while!   Kissing heart

• Karen W said:

Just wondering, how old are the chicks now?

Hi Karen, 1C2 - 42 days old, 1C1 - 40 days old (I think!)

• Welcome back Patily. I'm very sorry to hear you've been in hospital, but hope you are feeling much better now.
    19,07 FISH delivery which was a bit odd. Axel came in to the right rim, and disappeared in his characteristic speed. Asha has presumably claimed the fish but she and the chicks watched Axel disappear. It was 19.11 before she started to feed them. I think rain might be expected tonight but not easterlies. It will be from the south west so may not be enough to clean the screen, sadly

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• @Scylla; Are you sure your last 2 frames are Axel LEAVING the nest? He clearly has a fish in his talons, so either he was coming TO the nest, or he took his fish away again. Could there have been some of last night's fish left, I wonder?

Smiles, Jan.

• I've tried to scroll thru on my tablet. There might have been more before 10.47 but at that time there could have been an intruder around flying around and over but not seen. 11.49 she was still on the perch.
    12.00 she dropped to the nest
    12.20 a chick was flapping, taking up nest room, so Asha flew up to the perch
    14.00 She took off and returned with a long stick. Lots of placing and replacing, and moving around the nest for the next hour.
    14.54 a noisy helicopter could be heard and Asha took flight
    14.55 she returned to the perch
    15.50 she spotted something and flew over the back of the nest.
    1551 she returned with a chirrup - was she really away that long?
    16.05 up to the perch
    16.22 she flew off nd returned
    By 16.42 she was up on the perch
    17.03 Asha was calling
    17.05 she dropped to the nest
    17.09 Axel arrived FISH

That's as much as I've seen up to the 19.07 fish delivery.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/