LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• I've been thru on my tablet since about 18.00. It's not as accurate as my laptop, but I don't think there as been another fish delivery.
    The chicks, as CC reported, have indeed learned from Mum, and were calling and demanding for fish. Asha was on the perch until 21.18 when she dropped to the nest and briefly joined in the calling. The chicks were then quite vocal for over three minutes before quiet reigned. Asha remains on the right rim.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    I've been thru on my tablet since about 18.00

Clever you!  I've just done the same on laptop from my file, not from rollback like you had to - but I can't gainsay you, nothing up till dark.

IMAGICAT

• Morning all How can anyone see what's going on ??
  • Just a glimmer and it sounds like it's raining?
  • From the slight shaking and the fact that the chicks are bobbing their heads back and forth staring up, mum must be on the cam!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Alerted by chat I found this large fish at 05.59.

(c) RSPB Loch Garten

• Oh how disappointing, KORKY's done my breakfish Stuck out tongue winking eye  Nothing else up to noon, as far as I can seel

I'm packing up for a while.

IMAGICAT

• 13.18 Asha has been intruder chipping on and off, but not in full mantle so I guess it's annoying rather than a worry!

• Thank you Korky for finding the early fish delivery!

05:59  #1 FISH  good size.

08.18  Asha started food soliciting. 

Then chipping from afar – might haves been Axel from nearby but out of sight.

08.19   Asha took off.  Someone landed on the dead tree as she returned to the perch, chipping.  Was the other bird Axel?  Asha chipped, and was joined vocally by another food soliciting. Asha was making contact  pips.  I am not sure who is calling now!  Or who is on the perch and the dead tree!  Bother the veil

08.20  Asha on the perch, Axel on the dead tree

08.21 Another intruder chip (from whom I'm not sure) Asha flew from the perch towards the dead tree, but I couldn't see if she landed on it. She merges into the background!  The other bird remained on the top of the dead tree.

08.22 The chicks are lying quietly.

09.00  Whoever was on the dead tree has returned to the perch, and I think it is Asha.  So perhaps Axel landed on the nest at some point.  I am sorry I have absolutely no idea!  If it would come down nearer the cam and would show the clear white oblong on the head I would know, or showed a ring on the leg LOL!!  I am now assuming it is Asha on the perch, but who was on the dead tree and where Asha flew to I am bewildered.

10.29  The chicks started calling.  Asha bent over for a stretch and flew off.

10.31  A bit more wingercising as Asha flew past at the back of the nest and landed on the top of the dead tree.

10.40  Asha landed on the cam – one of the chicks, possibly male 1C2,  was exercising so she avoided the nest!

10.50  Time for a snooze

10.53  Clonk, clonk again.  Did Asha fly off?

11.02  A feather flew past.  Is she still there, preening, and caught the mic?

11.22  Asha is still up on the cam post

11.41   She's still there

12.14   Intruder chips away from the nest, which I assume is Axel.  The chicks went down immediately.

12.14   Asha returns to the nest, but seemed unconcerned, and the chicks are up.

13.11   Asha took off.

13.17  Asha returned, half mantling, looking around and above. 

13.18   More chipping, and then stopped, but still looking around warily.

13.18   Asha  intruder chipping

13.32   #2 FISH  Asha grabbed it, Axel departed and she started to feed the noisy chicks

13.51   A chick was wingercising enthusiastically, hitting mum on the head in the process.

13.55   Asha flew to the perch giving them more room!

13.57   More enthusiastic flapping, some odd croaky noises coming with the flapping, which soon stopped.

14.35   Asha spotted Axel off the nest somewhere and started calling loudly.

14.44  She is still calling.

14.55  My goodness, surely Axel has a fish nearby.  She is yelling for Scotland!  Then pauses and continues.

I must get on with 'stuff' elsewhere.  I'll try to catch up if no one else has joined in!

• 15.03.43  #3 FISH  and what a racket, Asha is making!!!  Axel has flown, and no wonder!!

She is still acting like a chick in possession of a fish, rather than the adult she is pleased and grateful, and about to feed her chicks LOL.  Poor Axel.