LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• MC and all.

I have tried again to contact Patily but the answerphone is still on. I have left a message in the hope that perhaps one of her carers will pick it up and contact me. If she is away, for whatever reason, I guess someone will be visiting to care for her cats?
  • Asha's been in 'n out, bringing sticks and nestorising.  Sample fly-off:

07:22 Sample return cos she made a funny sight:

IMAGICAT

• Mike B said:
    I have tried again to contact Patily but the answerphone is still on. I have left a message in the hope that perhaps one of her carers will pick it up and contact me. If she is away, for whatever reason, I guess someone will be visiting to care for her cats?

Thank you so much, Mike. What a shame we don't have any other contact details - eg, who helped Patily to visit osprey centres?  Do Dyfi or LG know?  (I can't remember precisely where Patily visited.  I bet GARDENBIRDER will know, but I think we're missing her, too!)

I wonder if she had to go into hospital or a nursing home for respite as the weather warmed up this month?  But she'd keep in touch if she could.

Sorry this is rather stream-of-consciousness.

PS - I am off duty for a while - I may have missed a fish SHEILA, or not :-*

IMAGICAT

• MIKE - thanks, your help trying to contact/find out how Patily is is very much appreciated.
  • There might have been some alarm-chirpiing while Axel was delivering, he flew off right away.  I didn't see a feed.

An hour later, a flapping session for the two juvies:

Nap time here.

IMAGICAT

• Seems to be an imminent delivery as Axel could be seen flying about the nest and fish screeching was interspersed with flyoffs and returns. Though now it quiet again. Perhaps he was teasing and has gone off to behead the fish.
    Apparently fish at 14.02, too.

EDIT: no fish as yet...

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• He's changed his approach path and is now coming in from the right, the murkiest route he could take!

We'll have to imagine the fishes.

IMAGICAT

• I've been out for most of the day, sorry, so thanks for the updates.

15.42  Asha started to call and a chick joined in!

16.46  #?  FISH

17.11   Fish finished and Asha called loudly for another one

17.57   Asha brought in a stick

18.03  Up to the perch with a call both before she flew, and once on the perch.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• 16.46 I tried a capture, but Axel arrives from the right splodged side. Tried adjustments...fail. But judging on the subsequent sounds of receiving the fish and sounds of being fed, I'd say yes, a fish.

EDIT: OOh sorry scylla! I just saw your post saying much the same.

• Chicks are alternately jumping and flapping, making their excited chirps.