LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• Hello friends. I've been busy for the past couple of days, but today's humid heat seems to be affecting our internet which arrives via a satellite dish some ten miles away. It takes ages for anything to work, and the cam whirlygigs for ages. Oh for broadband coming up our Lane!

It is absolutely delightful to watch our growing youngsters. 1C2 has been standing albeit wobbly, and stretching wings quite confidently. He is now creeping along the near rim.
    I think Asha was on the cam, and has just taken off. He almost hit the deck in surprise.
    16.09 Asha (keep wanting to type Sasha which is very annoying) returned to the perch.
    16.40 FISH #2?
    Something swiftish flew over behind the nest. Asha and Axel missed it, but the chicks spotted it and watched. Axel looked as though he was about to take off, but jumped to near the rim first of all, and then took off.
    'Use rich formatting' isn't working for me, so I will just file the snips I've taken, and perhaps add them at another time - for posterity, you understand!

Edit:  18 July as promised y'day

Random captures of Mistle/Asha and the chicks/juvies

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• You'll get no sympathy from me re your poor internet, SHEILA - you know how jealous of you I am, you in that lovely environment Grin

SheilaFE said:
    1C2 has been standing albeit wobbly, and stretching wings quite confidently.

1C1 was having a "flap" earlier, I forgot to post!  I love the effort they make, their wings too heavy at this stage:

Asha has been mantling at an intruder for a long time, I haven't been able to pay attention... now she's given chase but I didn't see any sign of it.

IMAGICAT

• Just to let y'all know I'm packing up.

PS - Couldn't go without checking - no more fish yet.

IMAGICAT

• Hello all, chick was having a good flap with those wings, they are quite funny when they are top heavy, until they can master the balance. Each time I look in these days, they look bigger.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• 21.27 Headless trout of good size. Funny how Axel has to look over the backs of the enormous chicks to where she is still screaming as she handles the fish.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• 23.37 Some weird sounding "yipping" near the mic. Almost like a small dog sound.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

Unknown said:
    23.37 Some weird sounding "yipping" near the mic. Almost like a small dog sound.

Owl ???

They woke up to scratch itches and went back to sleep:

IMAGICAT

• Scylla just to let you know I saw your messages and did answer about last nights intruder

Valerie

• 'The fish may come ready cooked today kids'

(c) RSPB Loch Garten