LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• RSPB Video, who I assume (should I?) is WildLifeWindows, and posted the ring numbers on Chat, but no detail of weight.

12:55 RSPB Video     Hi folks, hope you're enjoying the super-sparkly view - we certainly are! 

Both chicks were ringed this morning - the elder chick is male = 1C2 and the younger is female = 1C1 Both in good health 

So we have  Chick #1 Blue 1C2(22)m  and  chick #2  Blue 1C1(22)f    as Tiger pointed out below  one C one  and one C 2

Now, can I decide which is which  having not seen them for nearly two weeks!!  They have grown so much.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Both chicks weighed 1.5kg
  • Thank you Jill.  Very interesting.  I wonder why 1C2 was deemed male.  It's quite heavy.

From RSPB FB

RSPB Loch Garten, Abernety

Results are in from this morning and it looks like we have a male and a female chick.

The male BLUE IC2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE IC1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs.
    They both appear to be healthy and we are glad that our camera is (for now) without poo!
    I wonder whose hands these are!

• SheilaFE said:
    So we have  Chick #1 Blue IC2(22)m  and  chick #2  Blue IC1(22)f

How annoying, ringing them the wrong way around, age-wise.

I'm going to be easily annoyed until further notice, as 3 reboots have not fixed my seizing up system, I'm going spare.  Might also be "hangry", better sort that out now.

SheilaFE said:
    Now, can I decide which is which  having not seen them for nearly two weeks!!

Quite!  I think one of them is usually more subdued than the other, I'm assuming that's #2 1C1, who was bullied early on.  But I'll probably let everyone else decide who's who.

EDIT - And I've always thought that females were morel likely to be the bullies ???

EDIT 2 - IC1 corrected to 1C1 as per Tiger's advice - LG seem to have corrected it on their FB page too.

IMAGICAT

• Until we see a ring and can attribute that number to one of 'tuther, I am unsure!  Hopefully there will be a diary blog to let us know how we can decided who is who.  There is a difference in confidence and strength with one trying to stand up.

15.09   Axel landed with what looked like an end piece of fish - more than the tail end.

#1 FISH  carefully hidden.  Asha walked around a bit with the fish, chicks were looking at her.  It might have been a large fish originally, but it will be a good meal for them.

15.11   Asha takes a bite and the chicks immediately line up, but Asha got disturbed by someone flying within sight.

15.12   Come on mum, as one gets closer to her.  That's better, she starts to feed one. 

15.20   One is fighting to get the last morsel down, struggling tp swallow it.  It's the last  piece.  I think that chick dropped it briefly to rearrange the piece.  The other chick picked up and woofed it down.  So as CRinger might have said, a ten minute fish.

15.32  One of the chicks standing proud, if a bit wobbly, next to mum.  Good heavens, how they've grown

16.39   Asha returned from a short flight with a bundle of licheny twigs, and moves several sticks, disturbing the chicks in the process..

© RSPB - Loch Garten & WildlifeWindows

• Those  rings are    1C1    and 1C2   "I" is not used in ringing as far as I am aware. 

• Thank you Tiger. I have pointed that out in my post, above. It's not easy to see the difference between 1 one and l ell when printed unless you are looking for it.

• Just a snap - Asha shot off silently - RICHARD, this cam is similar to PooleHarbour #1 (I think I said that before):

Unseen intruder for several minutes:

Tea and supper from Axel:

Asha was feeding both from the same bite!  With #2 getting the second.

Tea:

Supper nearly-whopper:

IMAGICAT

• Certainly seems to be similar Scylla. Both supplied by same people I think so more than likely same make/model.

Richard B

• Unknown said:
    Both supplied by same people

Inside info! Smile

Despite that snippet I'm still going to be tetchy because laptop has not improved...

Having said that - what could be more cheering than Axel's super whole fish this morning?!  But I was a little bit sad that he wasn't allowed to have any ;)

12 July

IMAGICAT