LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

•  Such a lot to catch up on - I was out of it most of yesterday evening/last night, you won't be surprised - not sure how long I'll last this morning.

Unknown said:
    put our big boy and girl pants on

You've hit the nail on the head, KORKY, but it ain't easy for some of us.

SAN B - that's the accurate way to look at it.

SHEILA - another astounding commentary, thank you so much.

10 July 22:00 - #5 FISH - reported on Chat and I can hear the sound effects when checking footage.

IMAGICAT

• 11 July

Asha spent all the visible hours overnight on the perch, flew @ 05:16.  I've checked up to 05:57 but it's the dark grey phase, I can't see a thing.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I've checked up to 05:57 but it's the dark grey phase, I can't see a thing.

Aha!  I shoulda listened too!  It's fatal when events occur shortly before the end of a session, they get missed.

Thanks to Jan on Chat, here is an aural treat for y'all: "Anticipating, receiving, feeding":

IMAGICAT

• On my phone so not sure this will be a 'posh' link, but... ( no option I could see)

It appears LG have formally accepted AXEL as AX6's name, as per the article in the local paper, here  (via my laptop and edited).  The paper would have had a press release, so it's official.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thank you, Sheila - I expect LG will be confirming Axel at some stage, even if accidentally in passing Grin

The lens has cleared a bit but it's got too hot for me to be close to laptop (fans are blowing hot air on me!) so I shan't be very active.

IMAGICAT

• Well, that's jolly annoying.  I typed the update from the first fish, pressed the button and it disappeared!!  What on earth did I press!

09.34   Asha took off, and could be heard calling from afar

09.36   She returns fish calling, loudly and continually

09.47   Still calling

09.50   Quiet now.

10.09   Asha starts to call again

10.10   Fish must be near!

#2  FISH   Asha squeals loudly as usual over her fish

10.11    AXEL departs, and she stops!

10.12    Asha feeds the chicks

10.39    I think feed continues, not loudly, just gentle noises from both Asha and the chicks.  Must have been a good sized fish

10.51    I think feed is over.  Lots of 'floppy' wing movements, presumably from the chicks!

I have no real idea what's going on now.  A grey sky doesn't help.  But Asha is chatting – is she still eating?

11.04    Asha is on the far left side of the nest, preening and looking out.

11.09    Asha flew, after a brief contact call.

11.33    She returned with a friendly chirrup which was reciprocated by a chick

12.21    The wind gusted for a while

12.36    I'm sure she's still there, but I can't see her, nor the chicks!!  Ah

12.37    Spotted her on the right side.

12.40    The sun is round to the south, and with a bit more light I can see Asha behind the chicks, preening.  One chick is up on its 'elbows' looking over the side at the big wide world

13.02     Windy again.  I feel it rather sad that we rarely see Axel on the nest other than bringing in a fish.  Rutland and Glaslyn are so different.  Odin would look proud with his off spring!

30 June 2014  17.10  EJ & Odin with Millie (Millicent), Seasca and Druie.  They were ringed on 28 June when Millie was 42 days old, Seasca 40 days and Druie 37 days.

13.08      I had to turn the sound down – it's windy, but it's not so noisy now.

13.32    Gusting again

Edit:  the chicks will be ringed tomorrow

14:03 RSPB Video​   Good afternoon folks, just to say that the cam will be switched off tomorrow at about 8.30am while we ring the chicks and CLEAN THE CAMERA!!! Needless to say we'll switch it back on asap. Thanks.

• 15.45 #4 FISH .  Axel flew off in less than a minute.

Thank goodness the cam will be cleared tomorrow!  I really cannot see much without bright sunshine!

• 16.34 She has started to call loudly. Another fish in the offing, or wishful thinking?

• New blog

Unless it's a very old blog wot others have already given the link to!