LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

• 07 July

Mistle made a breakthru:

It's been like this for hours!

Until - and I haven't stopped to work out who this was or what was happening:

Eek!

• 09:20 unseen FISH !!! !!! !!!

Too hot here, I'm packing up, SYAL.

• Hello one and all.  Thank you Scylla for your update today, and thank you Catlady and LAM for posting your communications with Fergus.  He doesn't sound a happy bunny, I wonder why!

The day so far , thru the blur and the bright sun which has now gone, making life even more difficult - #2 fish

Thursday 7 July 2022

07.07      Scylla     04.41  Mistle made a breakthrough.  She had a comfort break

05.22      Sun burst thru the clouds making it impossible to anything

06.33      Mistle called weakly.  Sun nearly at the top of the screen, butt still obliterates view

06.51      Mistle returned to the nest

07.28      Another call from Mistle

07.52      And again – presumably Axel is within her sight.

08.22      And again

08.41      After another call, Mistle had a comfort break.  The sun is just above the top of the screen, but the rays are still increasing the blur.

08.42      She returns

09.01      Loud calls, then quiet.

09.20      Fish call.  AXEL lands with #1 FISH.  Axel left.  Feed commenced

09.32      Mistle starts to call for seconds already.  It must have been a starter not the main meal!!

09.43       Mistle leaves for a flyabout

10.14       Mistle returns with a chirrup

10.39       The sun is working its way round to the south, and sky is bright blue.  Mistle is preening, one of he chicks is looking out over the nest, trying now and again to stand on the knees and elbows!  So inquisitive, moving its head from side to side, , yay and stands wobbling, for a poo, and a wander around the nest for a different view.

11.00        Time for the chicks to snooze.  Mistle gives another call.  Has Axel returned to the area with a fish or is it a reminder to go fishing.  And quiet again.

11.55        The clouds have rolled in, but still high, and the sun has disappeared.

12.24         The sound of the wind increases.

12.29          Mistle's calls get louder….. Fish?

12.30         FISH #2 which looked quite reasonable.

12.34        With the sun's disappearance and the lowering of the clouds it is increasingly difficult to see what's happening.

12.44        The fish must be smaller than I imagined.   think chicks have turned away, and Mistle is picking up dropped pieces as well all calling for a third fish.

13.28        Mistle is pottering, picking.  The view has improved slightly, possibly as the sun moves around from south to west.

• Thank you for your heroic efforts, SHEILA Hugging

I am definitely gone now ;)

• 14.43     Mistle started to call loudly and expectantly.  

14.44     #3 FISH.  Axel left and Mistle fed the chicks.  I have absolutely no idea of size!

I forgot to add the snip, for what it's worth!

• 18.09 I have been thru the vid, and as far as I can tell there have been no more fish deliveries. I have not seen a visit by Axel, but he may well have paid a fleeting visit. Let's home there is a fish for teatime, and certainly for dinner!!
  • Fish deliveries at 19:13, 21:27 and 22:07

• Sandra P said:

Fish deliveries at 19:13, 21:27 and 22:07

Thank you, Sandra !!! !!! !!! Hugging 

If this snap is giving us the tail, which it resembles, it would be the whopperiest evah Rofl

• You're welcome, Scylla.
    There was a fish delivery at 6:39
  • Thank you so much for the fish updates Sandra. It looks as tho y'day was a day of little but often. Which is fine.