LOCH GARTEN - July 2022

(LG June 2022 thread)

Our Ospreys

"Axel", Blue AX6(16) male (yes he does have strong chest markings), a single chick (possibly from 3 eggs) hatched Glen Affric, near Beauly, seen Lossiemouth 2020, then at LG in 2021

"Mistle"- Female - Unringed - partnered Axel in 2021.

Axel & Mistle fled the nest May 2021 due to unknown intruders.

HATCH #1 - 11 June @ 05:30

HATCH #2 - 13 June @ 04:11 (first sighting)

AT RINGING - Quote RSPB Abernethy Facebook "The male BLUE 1C2 is thought to be the older one at 1.5kgs with the female BLUE 1C1 being the younger one at 1.5kgs."

RSPB Video Channel - Osprey, GOSHAWK! Barn Owls: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl8QdQ9ZaBT65tF1yOmbMBQ

All pictures & videos ©RSPB LochGarten & WildlifeWindows 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important Notice

Our informally, fondly named Black heartMistleBlack heart has been renamed officially by public vote HeartASHAHeart 

IMAGICAT

• I shall not be voting! Totally disgusted
  • I’ve sent an email detailing my feelings and asking that they consider adding MISTLE to the list.
  • I for one will not use the new name but still use thee old one if they had included the name and it wasn't voted for that
    would have been different NO VOTE NO NAME
    It's "Mistle"
  • It looks as tho I shouldn't be too bothered that my Notes on Nature email hasn't arrived yet Tired face 

Back to the cam - it (along with Goshawk) has been buffering for a long time but I think it's just this minute recovered.  Mistle is on the nest in the incubation position.

IMAGICAT

• I don’t post on here much but I “lurk” and appreciate all the observations people make. I was thrilled to go to Loch Garten last month and saw Mistle on the nest. Axel did a fly by too. However, like so many of you, I am unhappy that we can’t vote for the name Mistle. I have got my Notes on Nature email but I have deleted it because I will not be voting. I think “they” whoever “they” are have made a big mistake in their public relations.
  • Valerie D said:

I think perhaps Sheila you mean ringing around 18 July not August  ' Could be roughly week beginning 18 August.' ?

Woops!  Thank you Valerie for being so observant!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• What an afternoon at LG, poor Mistle and chicks, she is trying to umbrella them. If the wind direction changed, the lens would get cleaned, as there is enough rain!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• It's not been easy to see thru the murk again, but here's my take on the day

A very dreich day, with autumnal mist first thing, persistent rain at times, constant dampness all of the time.  MISTLE came and went quite a lot, usually for a few minutes.

04.40  #1 FISH  - Tiger's  Obs Board report which I missed.  Well done whoever reported it.  The fish count has subsequently  been altered

07.18 she flew off for the third time and gave short intruder chips, but that was all.

0721. calling

07.42  #2 FISH which looked like an indistinct whopper

07.44  Axel left

08.04  the little squeals suggest someone is sttill eating.

08.22  the mist has cleared

08.24  MISTLE continues to eat, and is calling for more fish!

08.20  She is tidying up

08.28  She leaves for a comfort break

She comes and goes quite a bit until 12.36 when the wind got up, the skies darkened and it started to rain

13.17  #3 FISH

13.18  AXEL left

13.23  The fish had gone.  It can't have been a whopper.

13.42  Raining again and MISTLE was brooding, and on and off until

17.27  #4 FISH  that looked whole and large

Chicks are tucking in and the skies look brighter!

There were a few outages of the cam during the day, but skimming thru I didn't notice too much.  I don't think I would have missed anything major.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Thank you, Sheila - I can't do much today and have to pack up again - hope to contribute later.

IMAGICAT

• In case you don't get your Notes on Nature email - this is the VOTING PAGE.

What a strange range of names for LG, looking at the origins and meanings.

IMAGICAT