MANTON BAY - JULY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay June 2022 

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post 

The season so far:    Maya returned 15 March @ 10:21 & Blue 33(11) on 21 March @ 17:29.  Egg #1 laid 31 March @ c 23:30 & hatched 09 May @ 23:02, Egg #2 laid 03 April @ 18:31 & hatched 10 May @ 12:30 and Egg #3 laid 06 April @ 20:30 & hatched 12 May @ 08:24.  On 20 June the chicks were ringed with their unique blue darvics.  Chick #1 was fitted with 1H1, #2 with 1H2 and #3 with 1H3.  All chicks were females and full details of their biometric data can be found here

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Thank you Glider we did get home safely and your most welcome to all our input as always when we visit the amazing MB family.
    We hope to get back again before they disappear but meanwhile it's Glaslyn next week! Very excited to visit this nest! We will try and do some reports if we can.
  • LAM said:
    Thank you Glider we did get home safely and your most welcome to all our input as always when we visit the amazing MB family.
    We hope to get back again before they disappear but meanwhile it's Glaslyn next week! Very excited to visit this nest! We will try and do some reports if we can.

Thank you LAM. Wow, Glaslyn, fantastic! - The famous Mrs G and Aran. Blush You’re moving from one set of legends to another! I’ll need to keep a close eye on that forum next week. Smile

Make sure you remember all of your equipment! Haha 

• Yes Glider love that, the osprey families are all truly legends! :-)
    Bit scared of meeting the legendary Mrs G as she is like meeting a Royal like figure with her stature:-) Not sure we'll be posh enough to greet her lol!
    We'll bring all the equipment :-) :-) and hope we are up to performing! Think I'll have forgotten by then how to do the resizing but will do our best :-)
  • LAM said:
    Yes Glider love that, the osprey families are all truly legends! :-)
    Bit scared of meeting the legendary Mrs G as she is like meeting a Royal like figure with her stature:-) Not sure we'll be posh enough to greet her lol!
    We'll bring all the equipment :-) :-) and hope we are up to performing! Think I'll have forgotten by then how to do the resizing but will do our best :-)

Haha! You’ll just need to bow to Mrs G! I’m sure you’ll have a fab time and everything will be grand.

• LAM Have just been reading back and enjoying all your reports Love your descriptionss, they really paint a picture Thank you Lucky you going to Glaslyn Such a beautiful valley Sadly we didnt see Mrs G and Aran as they were evidently tucked away in trees after Aran's tragic accident and its consequences Enjoy yourself and send as some of your fab reports if you can
  • Good Morning Glider, Patily and All
    Good to see you Patily and pleased you enjoyed the reports.
    Very sorry you didn't get to see Mrs G and Aran you will have to go again? It was because of the tragic circumstances last year that made us decide that should they return we would go and see them! So Carry on Camping Again! :-)..... In Wales with all that rain and 4 hour journey there! We must love ospreys a lot! Lol!
    Will definitely try and do reports largely down to the style of hide and whether there is anywhere to see them for a long time....... At Manton we are there for minimum of 4 hours watching and waiting :-) Definitely what we can view will be shared with you it's lovely to be able to contribute something to all you dedicated lovely people doing all the amazing daily updates....... Yes Karen.... You on this thread!
  • Afternoon ALL

LAM – what can I say??  What fantastic photos and updates.  We are very fortunate to be seeing the family off cam in their surroundings – thank you so much for sharing this with us.

So interesting reading your posts about the fish and learning the chicks, also Maya recover dropped ones and eat them on the perch.   Amazing – this is the first I have read of them doing this!!   

And your beach photo – yes so like Senegal where they will be headed very, very soon.   But what a fantastic job 33 and Maya have done as these chicks have had the best possible start in life.  They really are in tip top condition for their long journey south.  

So how was it to be back in your own bed last night?  Very sad leaving Manton Bay but wonderful I bet to experience some home comforts again lol  

So it is Carry on Camping to Glaslyn next:-D   How lovely for you to be visiting Mrs G and Aran.  She really is a legend and I’m sure you will have a fantastic time.   We will look out for any posts you manage to share on the Glaslyn thread but until then enjoy a rest and once again - a massive thank you.

• quick check back on this morning's activities

10:10   H1, 1H2 and Maya fish calling

11:03  FISH - 33 arrives and Maya waiting

1H1 arrives and has a tug of fish with Maya as 33 keeps back out of the way

1H2 arrives and snatches the fish

1H1 tries to take the fish but gets pecked by 1H2

1H2 drags the fish over

11:12  1H2 tucks in and 1H3 has now arrived and calling

11:24  1H2 keeps hold of the fish moving across the nest and 1H3 eats some innards left

11:30  1H2 has finished but holds on to the fish

and then flies off with it

• 11:31  Maya arrives and joins 1H3 - no fish for them!!

The both fly off -   ENS