Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 12 June 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON! 

Please check back to last week's thread to view another installment of Lindy's descriptions and mesmerizing photos of her recent cruise. I've enjoyed them so much.

This week, the moon turns full on Tuesday, 14 June. It's the second of four consecutive supermoons, when the full moon of the month occurs as the moon is at or near perigee (its closest point to the Earth in its monthly orbit). If your skies are cloudy, you can watch the full moon rise online. Info is HERE at Space.com, a safe site.

I expect to have a lazy week myself, because Indiana will be part of the massive, record-breaking heat wave that's predicted to hit much of the U.S. My temperatures will be around 100F or 38C for several days, with high humidity. 

Take care, everyone. 

• Footnotes --- We had, according to a log we were given travelled 2,385 nautical miles. The greedy passengers had eaten 370 kg of cheese, 735 litres of icecream, and 23,588 eggs.

Certainly wasn't me! I missed more than two days of eating, and worse, about 3 days of drinking. My OH was mostly annoyed as we had bought a "Drinks Package" which meant not accounting for our intake of wine and etc. and he worked out that we were worse off! Never mind. It was the trip of a lifetime for me, anyway, and the middle part was everything I had wanted it to be -- Out of this World and into another one. Never to be forgotten. I hope you've enjoyed my pics.
  • One extra pic  -- the pottery chicken I bought when in Flam!

He/she can remind me, on our kitchen windowsill, of our magical journey.

• Wonderful pics LINDY, many thanks. So pleased you docked in Shetland. Think you know we lived there 1993-95 and I loved it. We lived in rented CAA accommodation for the first 6 months and then moved into our own house at the south end of Lerwick. No one locked their doors even when they went away on holiday and keys were left in car ignitions. The coastal scenery is quite amazing.
  • Glad it gave you happy memories once again of Shetland, Dibnlib. I can see why people love it.
  • AQ: Those Gouldian finches are so beautiful. How is it that Oz has some many extraordinarily colorful birds! :-) Have you ever been to Darwin?

Lindybird: A place that's "Happy with itself!" Lead the way. But wait a minute, just read about "bleak winters". Still, it all looks so green - and sunny those last days! Were the trees removed, obviously not for housing....? I see you found the Wine Shop in Lerwick (also the livestream camera). So sorry you lost a couple of days of bad weather and stomach issues. Still, absolutely gorgeous photos all the way through. Thank you SO much!! :-))

• ANNETTE – I’ve never been to Darwin and no desire to do so. Too humid. Probably no old buildings since Cyclone Tracy flattened 80% of city χmas 1974.

Quiet & sunny - public holiday for HM’s b-day. OH came inside saying “Do you want to see the snake?” Not really. “It’s got legs.” OK. . . It was a wee lizard about 10 cm long, a “common garden skink”, sunning itself on the path. . . 

. . . before disappearing into leaf litter

• Good Morning. A bit grey here again ( and that's just me!) Supposed to be drier and sunnier this week, but it may not warm up much until tomorrow.

AQ - Thanks for the pretty finch yesterday, and the unusual skink today! Hope your OH enjoyed his birthday. I remember the awful events at Darwin, it was so shocking to see the damage.

We put a lot of bedding plants into hanging baskets etc yesterday, and today I intend to finish up. Also the ironing pile has reached huge proportions, so must be tackled at least in part- I keep finding other things to do!

• Annette - Glad you enjoyed. I took lots of pics but it was hard not to- you do have to stop some of the time and just look - just drink it all in. But at least the photos will now help me relive it.

I think that the trees in Shetland went the way of many on islands of that type - there were only a few, because of the harsh weather, but then when man came along it was a case of their being chopped down either to build houses, boats or provide heat. As far as I know, there were never many anyway. It was quite a contrast to the lush valleys of Norway where everything was very green.
  • LINDA - It isn’t my OH’s b-day – he doesn’t rate a public holiday LOL. Aussieland has celebrated the Queen’s!
  • I think that we are all still in Norway :-) in spirit...