Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 5 June 2022

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful week. 

The Brood X cicadas were screaming today on my patch. About a week ago, I noticed some big holes at the bottom of my trees. Various critters dig holes in my yard, so I didn't think much about it. Since then, I've seen articles about some of last year's Brood X cicadas popping up this year. Apparently, some of the bugs, called "stragglers," decided to sleep in, and they're appearing this year instead of last year. In most cases, it's because our soil didn't warm up to the required 64 degrees Fahrenheit until too late to wake them up in 2021. So, some of the noisy screechers decided to hit their snooze alarm and climb out this year instead!

• LINDA - Thank you for your trip saga, waiting for next segment. Interesting that you had a buffet lunch – Aussie cruises recently restarted but buffets are not permitted. How horrible to have rough weather but isn’t that normal for North Sea?

Newspaper cartoon today about a certain sandwich used the spelling as ma’malade!

Stormy weather continues here. OH’s daily walks are very brief. I worry because he sometimes runs home to avoid the rain and may fall. It’s only water, I say, and he could change into dry clothes.

• Thank you for starting us off, DIANE. I'm sorry that your vehicle search has not been fruitful, so far.
    I watched most of the Jubilee celebrations - have recorded the concert but not watched it yet. My sis in law tells me that the special effects were better than some of the performances. I agree with others thoughts about the Queen. She looks very small and frail. Poor lady, she must indeed be missing her life partner so much.
    LINDY - I'm enjoying your holiday pics and stories. Sorry about the mal de mer. My sailor stepson always advised us to stay amidship on cross channel ferries, if the weather was rough. One time, my brother was sailing across the English Channel with just his wife. She was absolutely floored by sea sickness and he almost had to put out a call for help as things were so bad.
    Regards to ALL -
  • Good Morning. Dry here but grey.

AQ - The usual buffets at breakfast and lunch were changed somewhat, to still give you choice -- some items only available by reaching with tongs, and the hot food of various kinds had to be asked for dispensing by staff, which sometimes led to confusion, as you had to hope they understood your English. The queue for bacon & egg etc in the mornings was huge! My OH queued patiently but sometimes found he didn't get the correct combination! I had a tiny plate of prepared cheese & fruit, then a nice warm croissant:-)

Heather, I was worried about the Queen and I think she is much frailer now - it must have all been a huge effort for her to appear. We must face that she will not always be with us, I suppose, but she will leave a huge gap behind. It was heartwarming to see the royals looking more human, such as Prince Charles taking his grandson on his lap during the concert.
  • Good morning. Not a lot to report here. I think I might go out for a short walk later to see if the orchids have appeared on the local common.
    At my nearest Osprey nest - Brenig - I see that one of the chicks has died. The experts seem to think that it is due to an inexperienced pair. I am visiting in a couple of weeks so I hope the remaining 2 young survive.
  • Aw, what a shame, Rusty. Hope the others survive - maybe they will, now.

No rain here (yet) but its very cold again - only 10 degrees. :-(
  • It is cold Lindy. I have just been out to feed the birds and my hands are freezing!!! It’s June for goodness sake.
    A lot of my flowers look battered after the rain but the lawn looks very happy and green.
  • I was hoping that you'd got your lawn cut RUSTY - you mentioned doing it at the end of last week, before the weather changed. It is overcast here but hoping that it will burn off soon. Unfortunately it's all change here after Wednesday.
  • Yes, Heather. I have noted with some interest the advance weather forecast for your area as I am setting off midweek on a birdwatching holiday up there. I am going to pack winter clothes and gloves!!!!! I am excited as I am hoping to visit Loch Garten. I have always wanted to go there.
    I did get the grass cut fortunately. It does look quite good just now. It may be rather long when I get back!!!!!