LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• 18.20 Axel brings the fish back, to much fanfare.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• scylla said:

Mistle and Axel making eye contact, except Axel's looking a bit blank - Ospreys don't do that a lot:

I chose this fish view because, I hope, we can see the spots:

Where did the silver leg ring come from in 1st picture, Axel has the blue ring?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• The Odin/fishing line episode was 2 years before my time, but I remember it well from references over the years - that was what I was calling for when I summoned MacFisheries - which some might not remember due to youth or wrong geographical area.

SheilaFE said:
    Yes, CC, they are changing. Becoming darker, and slightly ET.

See the difference, even tho they hatched so close together (I'll keep in mind to find better snaps, but Mistle isn't making it easy for us, with all them sticks 'n twigs).

IMAGICAT

• Their crops!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Lynn L said:

In the first pic Axel is standing on his right leg, which has the silver BTO ring while the blue ring is on his left.  I think Upside down

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

Lynn L said:

In the first pic Axel is standing on his right leg, which has the silver BTO ring while the blue ring is on his left.  I think

Aw, mystery solved never even thought that!!. Thought you hade the picture of another bird!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Catlady, usually these days darvic ringed birds also have a metal BTO ring, which contains contact details - for some reason it is the British Musuem ( I think, but I have no idea why). Right Darvics for Scottish birds and left for English and Welsh.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    Catlady, usually these days darvic ringed birds also have a metal BTO ring, which contains contact details - for some reason it is the British Musuem ( I think, but I have no idea why). Right Darvics for Scottish birds and left for English and Welsh.

Easy one to answer as a ringer Sheila. At first they had the name and address of the BTO (who is the BTO asked the public?) on them........ but were not getting many recoveries reported by the public. They had a thought and changed ti to the The British Museum. - apparently the public identified with this and reports from the public of ringing recoveries virtually doubled overnight!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Fascinating, thank you! Are you still a ringer?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Sadly not Sheila! But once I haver improved my stamina I hope to continue!