LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Good morning!

The 04:21 small headless fish - I chose the 4-winged view:

Both chicks were up for a feed, then again @ 05:55.

08:00 Mistle took a break and brought in a stick - not snap-friendly light.  She put more mess at the front:

At the 09:00 feed Mistle fed the rear chick as well as the front one.  I think the front one was the elder and I noticed the first bonking when it butted the front chick on the back of its head a few times.

Mistle did some nestorising - nearly left us with no view at all, trod on chicks, too Astonished

Saw an opportunity for an unbroken-up flyoff and spent "hours" tarting it up, thiinking of CRINGER Thinking

Mistle taking a break:

I'm taking a break too now, have probably got up to about 13:00.

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:
    One of the bobs is facing the wrong way but is getting some bites. I have seen this happen before, I think with the same bob...

Envious that you can tell the difference, CC Blush

But I had noticed from early on, while there was just the one tiny bob, that Mistle seemed to do better feeding from behind.

It looked a better-than-average fish:

Later it rained, then Axel came and - horror! - appeared to eat all the leftover fish but he was behind Mistle so we couldn't see exactly:

It looked as tho Mistle found a tiny tailend after he'd gone, and she ate it.

None of that is gospel, it's a hot day here Confounded

Killing two birds with one stone - Mistle's eating fishtail, anonymous chick is pooping:

IMAGICAT

• Scylla will love this............. Apparently @ 14:00 the nest had a visit by Lophophanes cristatus.

10 a penny at LG. Joy

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Axel really is impressing me - 4 fish today so far when the chicks are so small bodes very well for the future.
    4:21
    8:57
    12:07 &
    13:36
    For a first time dad it really does suggest the start of a new era - especially with the maternal Mistle.

• CRinger said:
    Apparently @ 14:00 the nest had a visit by Lophophanes cristatus.

Which nest?

Funnily enough, I saw a birdie on the perch while going thru the morning, I isolated it but forgot all about it and have deleted that session.  EDITED OUT THE NEXT SENTENCE.

Anyway, I've checked LG @ 14:00 and it was pouring with rain, so I doubt a Crestie would have been out 'n about at that time ???

I'm away to eat :)))

IMAGICAT

• FOTD #5 @ 18:15

• Sorry #5 was @ 17:29.
    Hmmm perhaps they didnt finish it, Axel took it and at 18:15 he returned with #5?
    Explanations welcome!

• scylla said:

CRinger said:
    Apparently @ 14:00 the nest had a visit by Lophophanes cristatus.

Which nest?

Anyway, I've checked LG @ 14:00 and it was pouring with rain, so I doubt a Crestie would have been out 'n about at that time ???

I'm away to eat :)))

I only watch LG nest - I was napping at the time so had to rely on recorded chat:

2:00 14:00 OMG a crestie on the nest!!!

I should perhaps have learned my lesson bearing in mind an expert's identification of salmon.

• Just waiting for the first Orca to be reported on live chat being brought back to the nest.

• Hello all, no 3rd chick? Do we think it will hatch now?
    Well done Axel, what a dad, 4/5 fish today.
    I see no crestie today at 14.00?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.