LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• He's back with his fish.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Unknown said:

CRinger said:
    Campari To-Kill-Ya!

<hurriedly gathers ingredients so they are ready to go>

SOOOOOOOOOO tempted to rename this thread 'Loch Garten June 2022 and summer cocktails'.

Scylla would never forgive me - I didn't folow protocol when I started the thread so don't want to be castigised for my humour before half of the month has passed!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Axel back to the nest. That's #4 well and truly finished so Mistle starts food soliciting hoping he gets #5.

• 19:36 Off he goes! Its good practise if we get 3 hatched. Then he could be bringing in 5+ every day. Let's pray for good weather for them.

• Axel came and left after what looked to be a corvid flew overhead.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• 21:05 Axel arrives fishless much to Mistle's disgust.

• I am now going to give Mission Control an impossible task. She will relish it I know!
    It's something I saw earlier, but not sure of the time......
    I think Axel brings the remains of the fish #4 back to the nest and Mistle was incubating / brooding. He appeared to lean forward and try and feed a chick he couldn't see!!!
    'I would love to see this behaviour again.

• Just look ather now. Sorry. More anthropomorphism. Regal. That's the only way I can describe her stance, attitude and demeanour. This is her realm. Long may it last. The start of an era we hope and you are welcome back with Axel every year for the rest of your life.

• About 20 years ago we had a volunteer called Patrick who every year would during his stay write a poem to our Ospreys. I doubt he is alive now, but I think their achiements so far should be acknowledged.

Ode to Mistle

You have huge boots to fill,

But we pray that succeed you will.

EJ was adored.

At the moment we can only applaud.

A first time mum?

Wow what aplomb!

After fights with your beau,

you seem more settled now.

With just Instinct you know,

what your chick needs to grow.

Axel listens to his Mistle,

and now does not bristle,

when she sends him away

to add another fish for the day.

We can only pray,

that we can say, one day,

'We saw the first year,

when this pair were here.

For a decade they were loyal

and have succeeded to be royal'.

• I seem to remember he wrote an Ode to Odin when Odin brought 9 fish to the nest in one day.

Smiles, Jan.