LOCH GARTEN June 2022

All quiet on the Osprey front. Mistle started gently food soliciting, then quiet, then stood up to reveal.........

,, what appeared to be a half eaten rainbow trout! No doubt Scylla will be able to get a much sharper image than me. All this happened about 5:45.  It was as stiff as a board. When was that delivered?

Afrer faffing around getting images 1 of them has come back to the nest and is incubating - can't tell which. 

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• @Scylla well spotted that she stomped on the chick! I missed that one! It was when she was trying to take the fish off Axel @ 13:42 and overbalanced that my heart was in my mouth!

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Unknown said:

CRinger said:
    strawberry fizz daiquiri so today one third Cava Rosado

You seem so well-stocked!

I like to be prepared for every eventuality! Made a delicious Gooseberery fizz the other day, still searching for a good cocktail using Campari.

• 14:49 Axel back with FOTD #3 - a whole but dead brown trout -medium size.

• 15:36 Mistle starts food soliciting - I may be wrong but I think she still has half of the FOTD#3 sitting beside her on the nest!

• Mistle is quiet again now. Saw an Osprey fly from the dead tree towards but to the left pof the nest. Has Axel gone fishing again when she still has half a fish left?

• Yup! She started feeding the chicks again with the FOTD #3 @ 15:55 while Axel had probably left the site foraging for FOTD#4 @ 15:44!

• I would suggest this is another piece of evidence these birds have not bred before. In Olly's and Henry's day if their females started food soliciting they would always come back to the nest first to see if all of the previous fish has been eaten - they rarely went off foraging without checking first.

• CRinger said:
    still searching for a good cocktail using Campari

My other favorite summer drink is Campari & soda with lime. A simple and refreshing drink.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Someone on live chat has just said:

​the osprey is so cute!

​CAN I ADOPT THAT OSPREY

​ITS SO CUTE

I always thought RSPB 'missed a trick' in not suggesting that all ringed Ospreys hatched on their land could be adopted. Zoos do it - I know they are captive animals, but what a great way to engage with peolle, especially children - send a newsletter when someone's Osprey was seen again. Think 'out of the box'. Excite people. Do something different!